• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't get my rabbit to eat Hay :/

Sazzii

Warren Scout
I've had Smudge for just over a month now, and I can't get her to eat hay.
I've tried several different types, and she just leaves it all every time.
Because of this, her diet consists of pellets, grass when she goes outside and veg.

I was just wondering whether anyone had any suggestions? Or any types of hay which buns particularly like?

Thanks,
:D

Hi there

We put loads in Biscuit's litter tray so she munches while doing her business.

We have west willows Timothy hay, with green burns oats hay sprinkled on top and also bought lots of dried herbs, she loves plantain which we also sprinkle on top, she loves it.

Good luck, least your bunny gets to eat grass, being a house bunny Biscuit doesn't get to eat any :(

My bunny wouldn't eat any hay, his poos were tiny :shock: so we got the sample pack from the hay experts and he still turned his nose up at all of them :roll: EXCEPT the Oat, Wheat and Barley hay, he guzzles this like nobody's business!! Every buns is different, so even if you've tried a few different ones, I'd keep trying, there's bound to be one he likes eventually! It's like kids with vegetables lol

How much pellets are you giving your bunny? It could be because you are giving too many so he doesn't need to eat hay as he's not hungry.

Probably a few too many pellets because I feel guilty when she looks hungry ^^
I''ll try cutting these down and some more types of hay =]

Definatley cut right back on the pellets, an eggcupful a day is all he needs, and he will be hungry for some hay then.

vets recommend only feeding a level desertful of pellets a day! This seems cruel but the best thing you can possibly give your bun is hay/grass and veg good for all over and stops most health problems.
I wouldn't worry too much if bun eats lots of grass but certainly trying to encourage hay is best.
Angel won't eat hay well she cant eat hay she has no front teeth and must find it difficult so we buy hay cubes from hay experts and break them up for her which she loves. She did love excell hay with herbs in she scoffed loads so I stocked up on this and she would never touch it again after that. She also likes the oat,wheat and barley hay stuff although she just sucks on it and spits it out. But you will have to be careful with this and alfalfa based hays as these are very fattening and are encouraged more as a treat hay then an all the time hay.
good luck

My bunny wouldn't eat any hay, his poos were tiny :shock: so we got the sample pack from the hay experts and he still turned his nose up at all of them :roll: EXCEPT the Oat, Wheat and Barley hay, he guzzles this like nobody's business!! Every buns is different, so even if you've tried a few different ones, I'd keep trying, there's bound to be one he likes eventually! It's like kids with vegetables lol

Fudge only eats that too :roll:

Try the hay experts website, they do some great stuff and you could try the sample pack which is what i did :D

Also as suggested cut back on pellets, i give mine a tablespoon a day divided into 2 small meals (sounds mean but they all eat alot of hay :D)

She also likes the oat,wheat and barley hay stuff although she just sucks on it and spits it out. But you will have to be careful with this and alfalfa based hays as these are very fattening and are encouraged more as a treat hay then an all the time hay.
good luck

Ooh dear, really?! I'm really worried about this now, that's the only hay Beau will eat :?

My bun has been a lttle difficult in this department:D

I now just give her veg (not too much) in the morning and some pellets at night now and it seems to be working. She's getting back in the habit now after her dental She likes the Oxbow range:shock:

If her teeth are ok, a few suggestions would be to put hay in different places such as her night bit or where she likes to kip. Mixing in grass or dandelion leaves or even bits of veg. Some one on here recently posted about grating carrot and mixing it in or spaying hay with fruit juice which i thought were great ideas! ( i tried the fruit juice one but she was having none of it!)

Make sure you replace old with new though to encorage her. I know its fustrating and expensive but just keep at it.

My oldest bun wont even touch hay either! But her poos are fine, size, shape, colour texture all healthy! she never has done, we spent small fortune trying new things for her, but nothing. the closest we got is readi grass, but even that she only eats the odd bit, doesnt even eat grass outside! The lack of hay probably helps to explain her teeth problems, but other than that it doesnt seem to have done her any harm. We just mak sure she gets enough fibre with her food and veg.

We did try cutting down the food and veg, to tiny amounts, but nothing, and she started to lose weight so we had to put her back on the food. I think veg has lots of fibre in it, and she eats a lot with no problems. The vet said aslong as she remains healthy, with healthy poos and at a healthy weight, then the lack of hay wont kill her, although obviously not ideal.

I dont know what to suggest really, as we tried everything with lots of failure! The only one we didnt try, as at the time we couldnt find it, is the burns green oat hay, which i will be trying, as my baby buns love the green oat treats we got them, so i thought its worth a try, theyre on excel with herbs and love it atm!

Back