• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!!!! Covered in used engine oil U/D

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
Harry has fallen in a bucket of used engine oil what shall I clean him with????

I'm going to murder my husband :censored:

Last edited:
usually fairy liquid gets it off, not sure if it's good for bunny coats but you need to get it off. hope he's okay and hasn't digested any.

Soak him, wash him thoroughly all over with fairy liquid avoiding the eyes, and rinse thoroughly. The fairy can be followed by a soothing animal shampoo if you have one. After washng towel off and blow dry.

His underside is completely covered still, he has it all over his nose up to his eyes. I've just given him a good scrub but I'm the only one at home, he was good but started getting stressed so I've just towel dried him and blow dried him. I'll have to do it again.

I just keep thinking he could have drowned in it :cry: how he got out is a miracle. I've phoned and screamed at hubby, 'I'll take it to work and get rid of it' yeah of course he did :censored: :censored:

might be worth a wee trip to the vets hun. he may need treatment specially if he goes into shock from it. hope he's okay.

Thats my exact thoughts too, poor Harry. I don't drive so hubby better tell work and come and get us.

He keeps washing where the oil still is :cry: how can I tell him a rabbit not to wash himself?

Thats my exact thoughts too, poor Harry. I don't drive so hubby better tell work and come and get us.

He keeps washing where the oil still is :cry: how can I tell him a rabbit not to wash himself?

You need to keep him wrapped in a towel and hold on to him til you can get him to a Vet and get him thoroughly cleaned. If he ingests alot of oil he will do himself serious harm :cry:

Oh gosh, i do hope hes going to be ok :(
I would ring the vet and say your coming in so they can be prepared :)
Men - absolutley useless :roll: Sending vibes to your poor bunny xx

Hope he's ok.
The vet may decide to sedate him so they can do a more thorough job, and also check inside his mouth and throat xx

poor little thing :(
He needs to see a vet, he may of ingested oil, especially if he is cleaning hismelf. and they might be able to wash him off with something abit safer than fairy washing up liquid and they will probably be able to do a more thorough job :) xx
good luck

Work won't let hubby home they are too busy :roll: :censored: neighbour not at home, I don't know anyone else where I live going to try inlaws as my family don't drive. Don't you just love times like this :censored:

Bus is once a week to a town for a few hours (no kidding) and taxi would be £20+ and guess what I have no money I could laugh if it wasn't so serious. Still ringing inlaws but no answer. I'll try washing him again and try ringing them again.

Bus is once a week to a town for a few hours (no kidding) and taxi would be £20+ and guess what I have no money I could laugh if it wasn't so serious. Still ringing inlaws but no answer. I'll try washing him again and try ringing them again.

Can't you get a taxi to a cashpoint then the vets?

you need to call a taxi or something The longer you leave it the more chance there is of your bunny either ingesting the oil or even going into shock. Good luck and keep us informed... where did you OH leave the oil? I bet you give him :censored: :roll:

if you speak to the taxi company and explain they normally take down name address etc and can sort out paying later as it is an emergency. I got stuck somewhere once with no money and a taxi picked me up. All i had to do is provide them with details of where i lived. ie utility bill etc and they let me pay later. either that or phone somewhere like the RSPCA or another animal rescue they may come and collect him. The fact the oil is near his nose it is likely he could have ingested some so he needs to see a vet good luck

Back