• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suffolk Show, frustrated and angry!!

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
They have a tent of show rabbits stupidly I had to look! I know they are kept in tiny cages but my biggest issue is that they have an amazing opportunity to educate people about rabbit welfare and there's nothing! The only thing they have is a kid selling raffle tickets £1 each to win a hutch and rabbit!!! The friggin hutch is about 2.5 feet long by 1ft x 1ft it has a big sign on it saying suitable for a small rabbit :censored: I couldn't help myself when asked if I wanted a ticket I let everyone know what I thought of the hutch :oops: the people behind me in the Q left!!!

We can't stop people showing rabbits and some breeders do really care but why the :censored: can't they hand out a sheet of advice and put posters up????

Fed up now! I'm gonna stomp around the show ground till I calm down :(

I'm sure there are some Breeders that do care about their animals, but the vast majority just see them as money making "objects" so why would they care about the accomodation size?

And, while the general public still buy directly from the Breeders or via petshops, then the problem will never go away :(

I agree with what your saying alot of breeders do not give a :censored:

But the breeders which i know and like are the ones which do care and give there rabbits the best of life, say no the potential buyers if they believe they would not look after the rabbits and basically treat the rabbits with the respect and love they deserve. I show my rabbits, i do not breed them, but my friend breeds hers, mine have huge hutched and the best care in the world.

I just hope people know that not all breeders and showers of rabbits are bad, the bad ones give us good ones a bad name! :)

There was a rabbit tent at the herts show that I looked in. They were kept singly in cages about 1ftx1ft for the whole day when it was about 27C, had only a tiny hay ball, and had a thin layer of woodshavings. Not the best message to send to new owners. And at the end, they had baby rabbits for sale too, but no rabbit care posters or anything.

I was there too, I have expressed my concern about the hutches in the past and to be honest it was me that insisited on the sign, as that was better than not putting anything on it. The sign did also state that they would need access to a run. There also was information available from different sources that was being given out just a bit along from the hutches.
Those hutches are donated so it is surely a matter of educating the maker as well because they must sell hutches that size to have them to donate.
J

Back