• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG how bad is this?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I just got a email from a distant friend asking me to give her a call as her rabbits had babies and she didn't know what to do. I have just spoken to her and she had a boy and girl rabbit, kept them seperate until the boy was netured about a month ago. The vet never mentioned keeping them apart for 6 wks and after the op the boy & girl lived together (the friend assuming that as the boy had been done all was okay) and now she has two babies.

The vet in question was my old vet how bad is that on the vets part, not to mention that fact about keeping them apart?

Some vets advise 2weeks aswell. Although the risk of pregnancy decreases after 2weeks, there have been cases (on here) of it happening at 5 weeks.

If I would her I would be ringing the vet. At least if he knows, he can dish out better/some advice in future

:shock: that is really bad, but some vets just assume you know.

I think you are right! I had Bugs done at this vets and they didn't say anything to me but thanks to this forum I mentioned it to them and they said oh yes that is right - otherwise I would have done the same!

Some vets advise 2weeks aswell. Although the risk of pregnancy decreases after 2weeks, there have been cases (on here) of it happening at 5 weeks.

If I would her I would be ringing the vet. At least if he knows, he can dish out better/some advice in future

She is going on holiday in a week as well .... she was worried as the mum wasn't feeding and wasn't near them etc however the babies are 'plump' and well so I have said not to worry, they only feed once a day and they tent to stay away from their babies etc. I think she will be ringing the vet! personally I think they should tell you as 'standard' - i would rather be told something I know than not knowing something I should! if that makes sense?

My first vet told me two weeks, that was several years ago though, i ended up with babys. I would ring the vet and tell them.

The lady I got my 2 off had the same thing, the vet didn't tell her to keep him apart from his wife, they had already had 2 litters in 31 days, and she kept him indoors overnight and then chucked him back in with the mum and 2 sets of babies:shock: luckily there were no more babies in this case. To be fair I don't think she told the vet he lived with a lady but also you would think the vets would have asked.

Firstly I would ring the vet responsible directly AND write a strongly worded letter to the practice manager, mainly so that this gap in the practice's knowledge is rectified and other bunny mummies don't have the same problem.

But secondly I would try and push the vets for compensation or free vet care or something of this nature, as it is SOLELY their fault that the bun got pregnant. Yeah, you could say she should've known or could've looked it up, but why would you, we trust our vets, and if we can't then they should come with a disclaimer!! :roll::censored:

the RSPCA didnt bother telling us about keeping newly castrated bucks seperate when we got our first ever bunny from them!! we ended up losing our doe because she had to have an emergency hystarectomy(spelt wrong i know!) and pulled her stiches out and died.:cry:

My vet told me 2 weeks as well! Luckily I had already found all of you on this forum and knew that wasnt enough. Its been 7 weeks now to make sure and its bonding day tomorrow.

I would definately ask the vets for compensation. Its just not good enough.

Back