• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but.........

SarahM

Warren Scout
Why is it that when you tell someone (who doesn't have rabbits) that yours has been ill and your having to do 'x' to treat it that they say 'get it put in a pie or the pot'? I find this 1. very upsetting and 2. rude. People wouldn't dream of saying something like that if it was a dog or cat, so why should a rabbit be different. They are still pets and just as important to us owners as a cat or dog. This attitude also seems to come from people who say they like animals.

Anyway rant over.

Sarah

Why is it that when you tell someone (who doesn't have rabbits) that yours has been ill and your having to do 'x' to treat it that they say 'get it put in a pie or the pot'? I find this 1. very upsetting and 2. rude. People wouldn't dream of saying something like that if it was a dog or cat, so why should a rabbit be different. They are still pets and just as important to us owners as a cat or dog. This attitude also seems to come from people who say they like animals.

Anyway rant over.

Sarah

I wait until their kid misbehaves. Then I tell them to sell it.

PS. I have no friends.:lol:

I wait until their kid misbehaves. Then I tell them to sell it.

PS. I have no friends.:lol:

She's fibbing she has one....me lolol

People do it all the time to me, esp when they find out i have 18 they say Why??? I ask them why they have children

I've actually found that when I say how many I have, they label me as Freak & stop dishing out "helpful" rabbit stew advice. Plus - they don't wanna start me on veganism:oops::lol:

i told my mum off the other day, cos all i get from her his "it's only a rabbit lindsay". i says "mum will you stop saying that, it's still an animal and so is your dog, how would you like it if i said you to trixie is just a Dog!!!!, rabbits still feel pain like any other animal and still need medical treatment and they still suffer" so there shut her up so it did, sick hereing her say that and like wise i'm sick of people making wise craics. i will seriously lose the plot the next time someone says something! :evil:

I had Tinkerbell from Wyevale Garden Center. They sold her to me with Syphillis and I went in and made a bit of a scene about it.

A woman in the queue said to me "Shame you didn't just bring her back and get her swapped for another one instead of spending all that money on her" :shock:

I suppose the pot reference comes from the fact people eat and enjoy rabbit (or at least used to). My Grandad loves it :shock: although doesn't eat it anymore. Everyone is different! Loads of people I know hate cats with a passion, and someone who keeps a rabbit may be horrified to find that people keep rats in the house! It takes a lot to make a world, sometimes you just have to take things with a pinch of salt. What suits one person desn't suit another and I'm afraid it's something we have to accept.

yep i used to have that off a lot of people and it wud be like haha yes very funny very original :roll: but then when they keep goin on and on and find it hilarious it winds me up cos its not funny its not having the desired effect of winding me up and i feel like an inferior person because im passionate about my buns

My MIL asked my husband "How does she know the rabbits ill?" like I make it up or something. Just tell her I can talk to the animals!

What REALLY infuriates me is when people tell me I can't have 'any more !!!'

Yes, I have got a lot of pets but they are all well cared for, they are all given veterinary treatment when necessary and it's bl**dy well nobody's business except my own if I live in a small house with loads of pets.

The house doesn't smell, it's clean and tidy, my children are well looked after, the dogs are walked EVERY day so where do they get off telling me I can't have any more. Just because I have substituted a dining table for a large aviary for the chippies is MY business.

Sorry rant over but just because people view me as a little bit eccentric isn't my fault - I'd rather spend all my time with my animals than people.

Creeps off of soapbox and goes to get some trifle !!! :lol:

noone has ever made horrible comments about my animals... to my face :lol::lol:

only my big bro tries to wind me up but thats only cus hes found a weakness in me :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Oh I have had that comment many times over the years of having rabbits. Now I just ignore it.

11 years ago, when my bunny Lucy had to be put to sleep, people in work found the circumstances hilarious (she was dropped by the vet!!) and openly laughed about it :cry::censored:

What bugs me, is people saying "you must be mad" because I have 2 kids (7 &4), two guineas and now have Charlie. What they don't get, is that I have been a stay at home mum (not out of choice but because daughter has special needs) for 4 1/2 years and I LOVE caring for my "boys". It gives me pleasure and stops my mind from stagnating (sp?) What harm am I doing to other people??? My house is clean, not always tidy, and the kids are well looked after.

Sorry for the rant.

Hugs
B XXX

Oh we have had it all, 'would make a nice pie' 'how disgusting having rabbits in your home' 'why didn't you have children like normal people' 'How Much ! you must be mad' and the rest...
and we love it in Morrisons or Tesco's when we fill the trolly with cabbages, carrots and other veg. As we have 14 rabbits. We then get......
'My God you must be healthy', 'Hu you have got nearly all the cabbages' 'are you vegetarians or something' 'Have you left anything for the rest of us'.

We love it and when they say 'rabbit pie' we just say 'Heard it all before' and sometimes I will say ' I don't know I think Sweeney Todd made the best pies ever'!!!!!

(for the very young..Sweeny Todd was a barber who use to make nice pie fillings out of his customers) ......oom tasty!!!! :lol::lol:

What REALLY infuriates me is when people tell me I can't have 'any more !!!'

Yes, I have got a lot of pets but they are all well cared for, they are all given veterinary treatment when necessary and it's bl**dy well nobody's business except my own if I live in a small house with loads of pets.

The house doesn't smell, it's clean and tidy, my children are well looked after, the dogs are walked EVERY day so where do they get off telling me I can't have any more. Just because I have substituted a dining table for a large aviary for the chippies is MY business.

Sorry rant over but just because people view me as a little bit eccentric isn't my fault - I'd rather spend all my time with my animals than people.

Creeps off of soapbox and goes to get some trifle !!! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

But do you ever wander in & wonder what you are doing? I mean - 3 rooms of my house are filled with rabbits running around. It IS a bit odd:oops::D:lol: Especially when they leg me up & I swear at them (I'm not a morning person:oops::lol:)

People tell me to do that, even when my rabbits aren't sick. Tons of people don't know how smart, and how great rabbits are as pets, they still think they're only for fur and meat like in the old days. I just try to ignore them.

Back