• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO; Rescue Guys-Hutch Question

Michelleox

Mama Doe
I will be hopefully looking for a husbun from a rescue for Amber after her spey in July and would like to start preparing.

At the moment, Amber who is a smallish bun has a Natura Trixie hutch which is 123x96x76cm (4x3x2.4ft) with the run underneath. She also has a hexagonal run which i put her in as often as possible. This hutch IMO is fine for her on her own as she can tear about, stand up and get quite a few hops/binkies in.

I *think*possibly this hutch may be a bit too small for two so if it is, can you guys (particularly if your from a rescue) give me some ideas of which hutch i could get if mine is deemed too small. I obviously want what is best for the buns so i have no problem shelling out the dosh within reason:) but can't really go for a shed type one as i'm in rented accomadation. Some links would be really helpful:)

(hope i haven't caused a riot with this post or anything, i just would like some helpful pointers - please don't give Jane the opportunity to get the popcorn out again lol)

Thnaks guys

I think you are being sensible preparing in advance:D

If you have a Rescue in mind, you might want to look at their minimum requirements as they differ:D The biggest one you can afford & have space for is always best:D

I think most rescues consider a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch as a minimum for a pair with an attached run. The run requirements vary but 6 x 4 x 2 is probably a minimum, some rescues ask for much bigger :)

Thanks for the replies That measurement is what i've seen on some sites - 5 or 6 ft but wasn't sure if the downstairs bit on my current hutch counts towards this measurement.
Can anyone reccomend a good site or somewhere who sells the bigger ones? I've looked at the Ryedale ones but as they come ready made i don't think it'll fit through the back gate:D I want to do it properly as i feel i can give a lovely little bun a loving home.

*Michelleox's dad faints at the thought of building those*:D

Thanks for those, i'll get the measuring tape out later and see where i could park it:) As i said, i want to get what the rescues are think is best..

The one just posted looks good, would you be able to ask them to make the run 2ft high as 20in isn't that tall.

I spoke to someone at Rydale and they were very helpful. I think if you asked them they would find a way round getting it through. Everyone who has had one has been very pleased with them.

Good luck!

Most rescues use the RSPCA's hutch standards which i think are 6 x 2 x 2 for 2 medium bunnies?
Forgive me if I'm wrong!

If you have an RSPCA near to you, they sell 6x2x2 flat packed hutches for £95. They are good quality and easy to build. You would need to add a run though.

I would pick what rescue you would like to adopt from first - before buying anything.
Its important that you meet their requirements.

I asked the question about my hutch & perm attached run and got told on here that it could be too small for 2 buns - it has a 40 square FT area....wereas the happyhutch posted on here only as 36 sq ft area which is obviously smaller then what I have....so you dont want to spend money on something like that only to be told its not big enough.

Not a rescue but here are the requirements for The Blue Cross where I have been before.

The Blue Cross recommend that rabbits are housed in a spacious hutch, the minimum size for two small rabbits is 150cm x 60cm floor space by 60cm tall. For two large rabbits this should be at least 180cm x 90cm floor space, 90cm tall.
The hutch should contain at least 2 rooms and a good-sized run should also be provided. Ideally, the run should be attached to the hutch so the rabbit can choose whether to be in or outdoors. The run should be as spacious as possible to allow the rabbit to hop, jump and have total freedom of movement.

I hope you find a suitable husbun.

Back