• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Whats a healthy weight for a Dwarf lop......

CRBevis

Mama Doe
at 10 1/2 weeks. Is 650gms not good. Waynes bun is on the small side but he appears perfectly healthy eats lots of hay and his food that he is giving am and then pm and he eats his cecals. Vet weighed him tonight and he was 650gms.

I can't give you an exact weight, despite having a dwarf lop myself, but that sounds about what Milo weighed around 10 weeks.

A better way to check weight if you just want to make sure they're growing ok is to feel for the spine. Here is an excerpt from When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care:

"There is one general hint for checking a rabbit's weight - the backbone, ribs, and pelvis should be palpable but not too obvious."

I generally go by this, but it might be good to get a baby scale and weigh your bun once a month. Just watch for any abrupt changes, and watch how much he eats. Most of the time, you will see a slow down in eating before you see a drop in weight.

My Milo is just about done growing, and he's about 2.2 kg, at least to give you some reference. :)

Hope that helps!

I would check his weight every week to ensure that he is gaining.
If not he may need more pellet feed whilst he is still growing.

Yeah I told Wayne to start weighing him at home and make sure he knows every contour of his body and how much of a bone he can feel.

I felt him on Sunday and he felt quite boney, but last night before I took Wayne and Rommel to the vets I had a feel and his spine wasn't so obvious so I think he is heading in the right direction. Wayne is going to increase his food a tiny bit over a few days to avoid upset tum!:D

Hmmm...i have Mini lops, so theyre smaller than that, and at 10 1/2 weeks my boy weighed 800 grams, and the breeder said he was the smallest of the litter. Had them checked by the vets and he said this is the right weight...

My female mini lop was very ill with a virus just after we got her at 8 weeks, so she lost a lot of weight, down to 400grams by 9 weeks, but by 10 1/2 she started putting the weight on 25grams every day without fail, so by 12 weeks was about 650-680grams, but as i said, she was ill so she probably should have been a lot bigger.

How big is he, is he about "normal" or a bit smaller? Comparing to mine which are mini it just seems a little small...

Like the other person posted, the feeling trick is a good idea, if he looks very skinny, and feels very boney with no muscle, then id be worried, but if he looks fine and feels fine, then aslong as he keeps eating i wouldnt say theres anything to worry about.

You say youre going to increase his food? Iv always thought baby buns should have unlimited food as they eat more as theyre growing? Iv always given mine unlimited, they only ever eat about the same amount each day, so they dont think "oh theres lots of food, lets eat it all", but its there if they want it. Thats what the food bag says for the two foods i get too, excel junior and dwarf for the minis, and johnsons supreme for my older bun.

Is the food youre feeding suitable for juniors? They have a higher need for protein, and if your giving regular food then maybe it just isnt getting its needed amount so isnt putting on as much weight?

Iv started to weight my buns every week now, the babys twice for now, the vet recommended it as a weight change could mean problems such as cancer or dental, and it might not be visable to the eye but the weight can see, so definately keep up with the weighing.

:wave:
Yes he is small for a dwarf at 11 weeks, he is smaller than what Bunnie was at that age and she was a mini lop.

Yes the food is suitable we don't feed excel or science selective as in my personal opinion and experience they are not as good quality food, with Bunnie both use to give her upset tum as not fibreous enough and it made her pee sludgy due to either the Alfafa (Bunnie was sensitive to alfafa) or high calcium amount in it. I never go by what the bag says about feeding all the time, I go by what the buns tummy says, as in poo goes a bit soft or lots of cecals not being eaten:)

We only feed Oxbow Bunnie basics T and Rommel is still on the food he was given by the lady which is mixture of A&P and Dodson & Horrell and some other food for youngens. Wayne is putting a couple of the Oxbow Bunnie Basics 15/23 in there now as this is what he will be going over to in 3-4 weeks time depending on how he goes with weight gain and how his poos look. If he has food on hand all the time he gets upset tum I believe it is the baby bun food a to rich for his tum, so he gets fed in morning and PM and has timothy hay all the time which is why he is producing nice hay rich poos:D

He has put on some weight since Wednesday but not as much as a stronger bun of a litter would do. You can't feel his spine like did on Sunday but can still feel his hips and shoulders but not as much as before.

He definetly small as the bun I am getting in 11 days time is only 7 weeks today (Sunday) and he is gaining weight and growing fast but then he is one of the stronger kits in the litter:D

I have told Wayne to just keep weighing the little fella every 3 days and to write it all down and keep feeling his little body and checking the poos and making sure cecals being eaten. Hopefully it just because he a weak one but he will develop in time and be a healthy strong little fella.

Heres a picture I took of him last Saturday when he was 10 weeks

P1000155.jpg

P1000160.jpg

P1000166.jpg

Oh my goodness your bun is gorgeus!:love:

He not mine :D He was an unwanted pre-easter bun who got pregnant and was dumped on ladies doorstep with the litter already born and 3 days old i think it was.

I get mine in 2 weeks and 3 days from the same women who took in another unwanted easter bun who then had babies on the easter sunday:)

He is so stunning...My muffin was 750 grams at 10 weeks...and now 2 weeks later she is 995grams ....so she is growing really fast :shock: hope that helps :)

He is so stunning...My muffin was 750 grams at 10 weeks...and now 2 weeks later she is 995grams ....so she is growing really fast :shock: hope that helps :)

I reckon as he is one of the weaker/smaller of the litter he has a delicate tum and the food he is on which is a mixture of A&P, dodson and horrell and some other baby food mix is upsetting his tum as he is producing soft poo which looks like normal poos but soft and unformed as you can see a few bits of hay in it when it happens which is 3 -5 hrs after brekkie and dinner. The A&P is obviously ok but the Dodson stuff and the other is greasy and probs to much protein for his gut. He possibly digesting it rather quickly and it coming out as stodgey poo and thus it not helping him to gain like he should.

Way after food time his raison poos are coming out nice and green and fibreous but after food it upsets him. Bunnie use to suffer from this but she would only have unformed soft poo blowouts at the weekend until we changed her to Oxbow Bunny basics and restricted it. Can't be a nearly all hay diet:D

Told Wayne to do the next part exchange for the oxbow bunny basics 15/23 and see if the stodgey poos reduce, if so then it definetly the food if it gets worse then obviously have to go back to amount of oxbow on now as don't want to upset his tum any more.

He is on Avipro plus in his water and that along with his cecals will hopefully be keeping him safe:D

He not mine :D He was an unwanted pre-easter bun who got pregnant and was dumped on ladies doorstep with the litter already born and 3 days old i think it was.

:shock: Amazing how people can just say well thats it .... I am bored now...get rid...shows they have no heart...how can you have a bun for one day and not fall in love???...maybe i should take off my rose pink glasses :(

:shock: Amazing how people can just say well thats it .... I am bored now...get rid...shows they have no heart...how can you have a bun for one day and not fall in love???...maybe i should take off my rose pink glasses :(

People who have animals as pets and for their own self satisfaction until get bored of it or it won't do what they want it to do can do this with ease:cry:

My animals aren't pets they are my kids:D and this includes my fish!

The fact he is a mini lop or dwarf lop is irrelavent as far as i know.

Mini & Dwarf Lop refers to the ear size and not the bun size. You need to know the breed or x breed of bun to get an idea of how large they will grow and what stage they should be at.

My OH got her mum to buy a bun that no one seemed to want at a pet shop as he had been there for ages. He was only about 12 weeks and cause he was a mini lop she thought he wouldnt get very big. We pointed that that refers to the ear size and gave her a shock. He doesnt seem to gotten to big tho:lol:

Mini & Dwarf Lop refers to the ear size and not the bun size. You need to know the breed or x breed of bun to get an idea of how large they will grow and what stage they should be at.

My OH got her mum to buy a bun that no one seemed to want at a pet shop as he had been there for ages. He was only about 12 weeks and cause he was a mini lop she thought he wouldnt get very big. We pointed that that refers to the ear size and gave her a shock. He doesnt seem to gotten to big tho:lol:

Thats not true at all...mini and dwarf lop DOES relate to size, dwarfs are slightly bigger than minis. I dont know where you found that info from...but if they are got from true mini or dwarf decendants there is a size difference! I think the sizes do overlap, the biggest mini can be as big as the smallest dwarf, but generally there is a noticeable difference.

Dwarfs were created from french lops using the dwarf gene, and then minis were further 'shrunk' from the dwarf enhancing that gene, making them smaller, not just ear size. The breeder i got my bun from told me this, her stock came from the man who imported minis into the UK first.

A true mini lop/Holland lop IS smaller than a true Dwarf lop :)

Just got the info from my own daft brain i am afraid.

I was just pointing out the fact that many buns arent actual breeds but many mixes or x's and that as you said yourself after saying that it refers to the body but then saying it derives from the ears, the lop and dwarf term comes from the ear size.

That this is then related to body size is also true, my dwarf is 0.15kg heavier than my mini but in theory it is possible to for the boundaries to cross over as you said. As long as the bun is healthy and gaining steady weight, there is no need to be concerned or fret over the fact other people with dwarf buns say that theirs was much larger when it was a baby. No need to panick people and then them to overfeed them which is MUCH more unhealthy than being underweight as longas they are feeding.

And you cant shrink genes. It is a simple mutation that you can breed true to make a sub-group or species from. So it was pure chance that evolved

Was just trying put the guys mind at ease

:?

I know that young buns are meant to have an endless supply of pellet food up until they are about 7 months (I think can't find the HRS article :roll:)

Did you say that his poo was green? Or have I misread something ? :wave:

I know that young buns are meant to have an endless supply of pellet food up until they are about 7 months (I think can't find the HRS article :roll:)

Did you say that his poo was green? Or have I misread something ? :wave:

Yes green because of the green timothy hay he is eating. Their raisons can differ in colour depending on hay colour. Bunnies use to be light brown cos she ate alot of meadow hay!

Rommels putting on weight:D

Back