• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent help needed feeding a new born bunny no mum u/d baby has passed away

deja224

Alpha Buck
Our door step bunny gave birth to a massive baby (size of my hand!) I got to vet while waitins she passed a half fomed baby and one live one sadly she has passed away she had no milk, I have powderd kitten milk to feed the baby who seams to be strong any one offer advice of feeding him/her

Last edited:
By the way this was not planned i havent had the bunny long i just need to talk to some one who can help me give this baby the best chance

I don't know the answer. Now, if it's urgent, and there is no milk, my gut tell me that you can get 100% soft (non-meat) baby food, just to improvise for the time being. Heinz Carrot Baby food for e.g., is pretty much liquid, nothing to chew.

I have heard 1 person uses Heinz baby food to feed baby rabbit.

I have powderd kitten milk the vet said to try that every 2 hours i just dont want to risk chokeing the little thing

I would definitely just use milk at this time, a newborn kit will just drink its mums milk and won't be ready for other foods for several weeks yet. I don't know how much to give at any one time or anything though. I have to say the chances for this little one are very, very slim :( Do you know of anyone who has other baby bunnies? Its best chance might be to pop it in with another mum and kits and hope that it gets adopted as part of a different litter.

the mum has passed away no one has litters vet said 5% chance it will make it through the night its best to leave it with mum and it will pass away but im going to do my best i now have some ideas what to do, I no thats not chance but there is 5%

If you can get hold of any breeders in your local area they may pop it into one of their litters for you. The best chance for it would be to be put into another litter

Mix up the kitten milk and use a 1ml syringe or dropper. You'll need to do it very slowly, literally a drop at a time and to start with it will probably only take 1ml at a feed. It takes a day or to to get used to the syringe then the feed is easier. As they get bigger the milk intake increases and they'll start chewing the syringe to get fed.

It's really important to go slow so they drink the milk and not inhale it. After feeding use a bit of damp cotton wool to stroke their tummy/groin to encourage toileting.

My friends bun gave birth to a full litter and sadly passed away just after delivering the last one.He fed the litter on goats milk as advised on the net. He fed them 4 times a day morning, lunch, teatime and evening. He kept them warm on a blanket near the radiator and syringed 1ml in 0.5ml bursts every feeding time but you might find they like a drink of water to in a bowl.(this can be given by the syringe if you wish. After approx 4-6 weeks tried them on skimmed goats milk and a few pellets.I'm not saying this will work but i want to give you and the little bun every chance of success.If you want anymore advise just pm me. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.:)
I nearly forgot to mention all of the litter survived being hand reard.:D

Last edited:
Back