• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

second chance?

ilovemybuns

Alpha Buck
do you think people deserve a second chance?

i joined the forum a new bunny mum with little info and lots of bad advice.

now i feel im a new bunny mum with lots of advice and fairly good knowlegde of rabbits.
im still learning.
however feel if i had the information from the time i bought my rabbits i would not be in the situation i am in now(please see my other threads).

dont realy know what my question is ..

of course. We all start from somewhere. However if we don't learn from our mistakes then that is a different matter ;):lol::lol:

Correct me if Im wrong, but are you feeling down?
(Not neccessarily about your bunnies.)
Im a great believer in second chances,no matter what the circumstances.
We all learn new things all the time about everything.
As a bunny mummy,I started out with sawdust...due to this forum, I learnt about megazorb and its benefits, so I now use the stuff, but I dont feel bad about using the sawdust.Everything is a learning curve and we all do our best in life, no matter what we use, how we parent kids.......the list is endless.
If Im talking a load of twaddle, then ignore it all,lol!!
Just do what you can to the best of your ability...and keep learning.xx

Correct me if Im wrong, but are you feeling down?
(Not neccessarily about your bunnies.)
Im a great believer in second chances,no matter what the circumstances.
We all learn new things all the time about everything.
As a bunny mummy,I started out with sawdust...due to this forum, I learnt about megazorb and its benefits, so I now use the stuff, but I dont feel bad about using the sawdust.Everything is a learning curve and we all do our best in life, no matter what we use, how we parent kids.......the list is endless.
If Im talking a load of twaddle, then ignore it all,lol!!
Just do what you can to the best of your ability...and keep learning.xx

yes perfect summary! just wish more people on here would see such reason !
thank you so muchxxx

Hi yes when I joined I had two hormonal teenage girl buns that made me cry they were so agressive they ate mostly pellets and hardly any hay. Since I have joined the forum (nearly a year ago gulp!) they now have a mainly hay diet much bigger better accomodation and a husbun each. We are all here to learn and the fact you have taken on board and accepted advice is the most important thing

Absolutely. I think we are all learning all the time. I had kept a few rabbits over the years, the last one was 9 when he passed away and he had been with us for 8 of those years, I always did my best for him but I am far more knowledgable now that I've been reading the forum and there are things that I would have done differently.

Not only have I learned loads more about rabbits but my hamsters' and guinea pigs' lives have been enriched by the things I have learnt on this forum.

Absolutely. I think we are all learning all the time. I had kept a few rabbits over the years, the last one was 9 when he passed away and he had been with us for 8 of those years, I always did my best for him but I am far more knowledgable now that I've been reading the forum and there are things that I would have done differently.

Not only have I learned loads more about rabbits but my hamsters' and guinea pigs' lives have been enriched by the things I have learnt on this forum.

thank you xx

I still think you should always learn about animals before getting them. I'd be terrified of getting a new animal without knowing anything about their true care. However, if you miss this stage, but take on advice that is given to you, then yes you do deserve a second chance. However, no-one deserves three, if you are given advice and don't take it on board and improve, then I don't think that's good at all.

I am your typical ignorant animal-getter. I got given a horse - then learnt about them (an ex racehorse - so basically I just fell off. A lot). I bought my first bun & kept him in a 3 foot hutch, alone & un-neutered. I clicked he was miserable, so bought him an un-neutered male friend:roll: When I eventually found here, I changed everything.

We can never know everything, & even now I sometimes cringe at things I did a year ago. It's a learning process. If you are actively seeking to learn stuff & improve things, then I don't see a problem:D

i'm still learning too and becoming a better bunny mum every day (well at least i hope ;)) but what i thought i knew about rabbits when i got my two was completely wrong and i wish i had known more as a kid, i was thinking the other day of a bun i used to have called snowball, she was the sweetest thing but she took diarrea one day and my dad bathed her but refused to take her to the vets but next day she was dead(i know realise that was VHD that killed her) but my parents had programmed me not to get so attached so i never shed a tear and that weekend they bought me a new one. i also started breeding guinea pigs when i was a teenager and when i finished school and started to work i didn't have as much time for them, i still cared for them and fed them but one night my dad picked me up and told that he'd given the guinea pigs to the petshop, i wasn't allowed to say goodbye and get the chance to keep them. so yes i know have full control over my darlings now and once i see something wrong i'm straight down to the vets. :D

I still think you should always learn about animals before getting them. I'd be terrified of getting a new animal without knowing anything about their true care. However, if you miss this stage, but take on advice that is given to you, then yes you do deserve a second chance. However, no-one deserves three, if you are given advice and don't take it on board and improve, then I don't think that's good at all.

It would be nice to think that from doing one thing wrong that we can get everything right the third time, unfortunately I don't think life is that clear cut to be able to say no third chance. Life is about a learning curve, we learn little bits as we mature and do things, however sadly it doesn't mean we learn everything about something as quickly as others would like. Sometimes we have to learn from doing something wrong a few times, improving slowly as we learn and do things.

All of our little bunnies are so different. I did all my research before getting Bikky but now I have her, I am still learning so much. I do my best for her and there is nothing I wouldn't do to keep her happy. But sometimes I read things on here and think that's just not right for my girl. It's like meeting someone new and having them live with you and having to take full responsibility for them all the time. It's natural to go wrong.

No one person can be an expert, there is always at least one more thing to learn :)

So long as you know your bunny/ies and know if she/he is happy or not then that's the biggest challenge out of the way.

I got Lola on a whim! I went in for fish food and ended up with Lola and a £150 credit card bill.

I had no idea how/what/why and I could of let it be like that.

However, I had to learn and I have done and I can now offer little titbits of help to others (tho I am no way an expert).

I will give everyone a second chance, but not a third or fourth etc. Learning from our mistakes is one of the best ways of learning!

Back