• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EC several questions

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
1.the vet just phoned and has told me to keep them off the ground for 4 weeks and to disinfect the hutch before they go back out. The vet still thinks 28 days is enough. I'm not sure if I should follow the 6 weeks advice and go against my vets advice?

2. keeping him indoors for 4-6 weeks but.What about cleaning his indoor cage? how often with the bleach, or is that only on days 21 and 28?

3.He only has another day and a bit of baytril left do I request more? also can I still use metacam once a day? I have read conflcting advice on this. gah

thank you :wave:

My Vet says she still recommends 6 weeks for an 'active' EC

Bleach cleaning on days 21 and 28 are very important but personally I'd be doing a thorough clean daily.

How long was the course of Baytril ? If it was given for his ear infection then my Vet would probably prescribe at least 14 days.

I would definately ask the Vet about continuing the Metacam as anti-inflammatories are essential in the treatment of EC to try to minimise the longterm cellular damage caused by the EC spores.

baytril was an 8 day course, prescribed by the emergency vet. he had seperate injections for his ear infection. I will still continue to give him the metacam daily. Will also do the 6 week course rather than the 28 days...does Gizmo need the 6 week course too?

baytril was an 8 day course, prescribed by the emergency vet. he had seperate injections for his ear infection. I will still continue to give him the metacam daily. Will also do the 6 week course rather than the 28 days...does Gizmo need the 6 week course too?

I always treat bonded pairs for the same amount of time.

Thanks will do both for 6 weeks also. :) Would you reccomend keeping them indoors for 6 weeks rather than the 4 then?

I think that its important that all surfaces they are kept on can be bleach cleaned whilst they are on Panacur so if they were to go outdoors it'd need to be in a run on a concrete base rather than grass/soil.

Should I bleach indoor cage every day? going to be a massive task as the cage is in my room, and its rather heavy to move :shock:

I was advised to do a 28 day course of panacur but did a six week course to be on the safe side and it won't do any harm.

Back