• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question on getting a second bunny

beki

Mama Doe
I have a 14 week old female bunny, she lives outside and i think she is a little lonely. I spend time with her when i am home from work and let her inside to play with the cats. The reason why i think she is lonely is because she is so happy to see me when i go out and she is so excited to play with the cats. She is still too young to be spayed, the vet said about the end of July as she will be about 5 months old. Would i have to wait until then to get another rabbit or could i get another sooner? i was going to try and get a rescue bunny, so a neutered male, would this cause any problems with her not being spayed yet?

I suppose now it is getting a bit warmer the cats will spend more time outside (they are only young and don't like the rain, wind, dark whatever) so they can keep her company for a bit if it is best to wait until she is spayed.

If I were you I would wait until she is spayed to get her a friend. You could get her one before but you risk fighting. Give her two weeks at least after she is spayed for her wounds to heal & then happy hunting. A spayed boy from a rescue will be your best bet as you know there will be no hormone problems in the future.

In the mean time spend as much time with her as you can and if she is safe and comfortable with them let her interact with the cats under your supervision. You could also try her with a little toy to cuddle up to (justg make sure she doesn't try and eat it)

You could look for an already neutered male, so long as 6 weeks have passed since his op.

or look for another vet, who is willing to do the op. Sophie had hers at 14 weeks, which is the earliest vets will do them.

Back