• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sootys not right :( u/d eating and drinking after dental

*fluffybunny*

Warren Scout
Can anyone help? My Sooty (1 year old bun) often needs his back molars burring, hes had it done a few times now and he just stops eating, the vet always says that he only ever has very small spikes that don't pierce the tongue but there obvoiusly enough to upset Soot. My vet will take the spikes off under sedation and give him metcam and he normally picks up within a couple of days.. anyway he had them done 2 weeks ago and went back to his food virtually straight away, well he has just stopped eating again already yesterday? I syringe fed him last night and when i got up this morning he'd ate a little bit. Before work i gave him some of his favourite treats (parsley and a small piece of clover cookie) and when i came home tonight there still there? Hes moving about ok and even did a little binky this morning. Could his teeth grow back in 2 weeks? They aren't even that bad when they do grow spurs? My other bun used to have really bad spurs that would grow through her tongue and even she would go 6-8 weeks?
Also not sure if this is important but i treated him on Monday with Beapher Spot On from pets at home as my other bun has mites again and wanted to treat them both so i thought i'd try this as my vets weren't open Monday and it contains Ivermectim which is what the vet would give her. It seems that he started to go downhill after he had this, surely it couldn't be that? Though he did try licking some off his neck. Does anyone know if this stuff could harm him if he licked it? Sophie is fine and she had it too.
If hes still off colour in the morning I'll take him to the vets but Sooty is a very sensitive bun and will stop eating over the slightest thing, after an injection at the vet he wont eat for a bit and hates being in the garden as hes scared of the sparrows, he such a mommy boy lol

Pen x

Last edited:
Ivermectin can be given orally so it should not have caused a problem even if he did lick it.

It is possible that he has mouth pain. Does he have a lumpy jawline ?

Has he poo'd today. This is really important as if he has not poo'd and is not eating he may be heading for full GI stasis. He really would need to see a Vet tonight if he has not poo'd.

Thanks for your fast response. He has poo'd today hun, i syringe fed him mushed excel last night and when i got in from work tonight, he has also eaten alittle hay.
But he's not right, hes not his normal self and wont eat his pellets unaided.
I have just gave him some metacam, i always try to keep some incase he has teeth probs and the vets are closed, luckily i had some. I'll see if he picks up on the painkiller, if so i know hes feeling pain somewhere, probably his teeth, though i dont see how that could be 2 weeks after a dental?

Hi Guys,

I took Sooty to the vet yesterday as he's still not right. He did pick up a bit on metcam but as soon as it wheres off he stops eating and just sits there, obviously not himself.
The vet gave him a thorough check up (listened to his chest, temperature, felt his jaw) She also had a good look in his mouth and said his teeth had grown back a little but there were no spikes or spurs yet as he only had a dental just over 2 weeks ago. She said his teeth don't meet perfectly and they will start to rub his gum again but not yet. Last time he went just over 6weeks before his teeth gave him any problems and before that he went 6 months. Even when he has spikes she said there not enough to pierce the skin or cut his tongue, they are very tiny spikes. She said he is very sensitive and once when she wasn't there and i saw the other vet they said his teeth looked OK, that most rabbits have very slight spurs and as long as they don't start to cut through the gum shouldn't bother them. Luckily my usual vet is much more understanding and burr even small spikes down if soot's not eating (He must be such a weed!) So for my usual vet to say theres nothing there, there can't be? She said he could have a slight respitrary Infection coming on which isn't showing itself yet so gave him an Injection of Baytril, matacam and a gut stimulant (I have been syringe feeding him so his guts are moving ok but just to be on the safe side). She gave me a course of Baytril and some more metacam and said he how he goes, if he starts to pick up continue the antibiotics and metacam for the next week, if not i have to back tomorrow and they will x-ray his mouth to see if he has a root problem.
But my vet goes away for 2 weeks today and the other vets aren't as rabbit savy but i'll have no choice. He did pick up last night and ate and drank, but this morning seemed a bit quieter, he must be in pain if he improves on the metcam? I just want him to be OK, I lost my buster in febuary this year and dont want anything to happen to sooty :(

Update

Sootys been on the baytril and metacam for 3 days now and has definately picked up! He is eating and pooping but has really dark wee, could this be the bartyil cause he is drinking though not loads. Its very strange how he went downhill but i still think it has something to do with his teeth cause the metacam is probably really helping. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since his last dental and i think as there growing back, though not hurting him yet, he can feel them and maybe irritating him.
Atleast hes eating and pooping now though :)
Ive reduced his pellets (though i never fed him more than a handful a day) to half a handful and cut out all treats to try to encourage him to eat more hay, he does usually eat it but seems to be eating it a lot more since ive done this, hopefully it will help :)

ANOTHER UPDATE

He still wasn't right over the last couple of days, he's been eating a little hay and a couple of pellets but hardly drinking and this was when he was ON metacam, without that i dread to think what he's be like! So i took him back again today, my vets on holiday but i saw another vet who seems to know a bit about rabbits. She said as his last dental was only 3 weeks ago he didn't have any spikes but she'd sedate him and x-ray him to see if theres a root or abcess problem that she couldn't see. They x-rays came back perfectly normal (thank god) but while he was under she checked his mouth and though he never had spikes his teeth were a little 'rough' and were quite sharp when she ran her fingers along them. She said this shouldn't really bother a bun but she rasped them down anyway.
He's now home on metacam and though alittle drowsy still has had a drink and some hay. The vet said that if he picked up after rasping hardly anything that he's the most sensitive bun shes ever seen, and that they can't keep doing dentals every few weeks, she said he may need to stay on metacam long term and only rasp down the teeth once 'proper' spikes are visible.
Has anyone else got a really sensitive bun? My other dental bun (whos now at the bridge) had a very high pain threshold and would continue to eat until her teeth grew through her tonue :shock:
So can i ask for vibes for Sooty to get back to his binky self soon.

Pen x

Back