• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding/neutering/spaying..more details added..

ilovemybuns

Alpha Buck
didnt know which section to put this sorry!

i currently have a group of 3 mum n two babies (6 weeks @ 3 days)oldi am keeping 2 of the 4 babies which were born.i want dad to go back into the group when he has been neutered.

three questions?
when will he be ok to rejoin/bond back with the group after the op?(ok answered 4-6 weeks)

how old should the babies be when he goes in?

and if i neuter/spay the rest will they be ok to rejoin the group when they are over the op or will i need to rebond again ?(they are all going to be spayed@neutered but not all together so im doing the male first so i dont end up with any more babies

hope this makes sense!!

Last edited:
Sorry hun whenever I've bred it's always been with a borrowed stud :( At a guess, I would say 6 weeks is ok for daddy to be with babies, as their eyes are open and they're moving around.

Hello! Well I'm a rabbit 'newbie' too (I don't have any yet - I'm just here to learn about them) but there's a handy reference section at the top of the forum - maybe This Article about Neutering and Spaying will answer your questions?

Males remain fertile for (according to the article) some time after being neutered. If you get him neutered now though - by the time your baby rabbits have grown up he will be able to go back in with mum. :)

(As I understand it - the babies are still very young?)

Though mum too will need to be spayed they can stay together for this according to what I've learnt so far.

Hope this helps x

ETA: If I were you I would probably separate the babies when they are old enough into their own male / female groups and just put mum and dad together - so long as dad has been neutered for long enough to definitely not be fertile.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will come along soon though...... :oops:

Last edited:
I would not put an adult male in with 6 week old babies- if there was a fight it would be terrible!

I would wait untill bunnies are 8 weeks then remove them from the mum. Get the mum spayed and the male neutered and then rebond them together. If you intend on keeping the babies then they will need neutering and bonding too when they are old enough.

I also wouldnt breed anymore bunnies- are you aware that they are around 33,000 rabbits in rescues at any one time in the country? Why add to the problem.

I would not put an adult male in with 6 week old babies- if there was a fight it would be terrible!

I would wait untill bunnies are 8 weeks then remove them from the mum. Get the mum spayed and the male neutered and then rebond them together. If you intend on keeping the babies then they will need neutering and bonding too when they are old enough.

I also wouldnt breed anymore bunnies- are you aware that they are around 33,000 rabbits in rescues at any one time in the country? Why add to the problem.

male is being neutered next week,

i didnt intend to breed this time.i was told i had 4 girls..im making the best of a bad situation.

Hello! Well I'm a rabbit 'newbie' too (I don't have any yet - I'm just here to learn about them) but there's a handy reference section at the top of the forum - maybe This Article about Neutering and Spaying will answer your questions?

Males remain fertile for (according to the article) some time after being neutered. If you get him neutered now though - by the time your baby rabbits have grown up he will be able to go back in with mum. :)

(As I understand it - the babies are still very young?)

Though mum too will need to be spayed they can stay together for this according to what I've learnt so far.

Hope this helps x

ETA: If I were you I would probably separate the babies when they are old enough into their own male / female groups and just put mum and dad together - so long as dad has been neutered for long enough to definitely not be fertile.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will come along soon though...... :oops:

thanks some very helpful info!

male is being neutered next week,

i didnt intend to breed this time.i was told i had 4 girls..im making the best of a bad situation.

Fair enough- its your decision to breed I am just advising on what is best for the welfare of the rabbits involved.

If he is being neutered tomorrow you will have to wait 6 weeks before you put him with an un-neutered female or she WILL get pregnant again.

I think the best plan for you is to neuter the male- once the babies are 8 weeks separate them from Mum and spay her. In 6 weeks time when Mum and Dads hormones have settled bond them on neutral ground (lots of advice about this on here) and let them live the rest of their days happily together.

If the babies are different sexes then females can stay with Mum but males will need removing at about 10 weeks I think before they become fertile and you have alot of bunnies on your hands.

Fair enough- its your decision to breed I am just advising on what is best for the welfare of the rabbits involved.

If he is being neutered tomorrow you will have to wait 6 weeks before you put him with an un-neutered female or she WILL get pregnant again.

I think the best plan for you is to neuter the male- once the babies are 8 weeks separate them from Mum and spay her. In 6 weeks time when Mum and Dads hormones have settled bond them on neutral ground (lots of advice about this on here) and let them live the rest of their days happily together.

If the babies are different sexes then females can stay with Mum but males will need removing at about 10 weeks I think before they become fertile and you have alot of bunnies on your hands.

please read the post properly..i didnt intend to breed i was told i had 4 female rabbits when i bought them.(i only found out when i took them to the vfets and by then it was to late .i have been given alot of bad info before finding this site and i have learned a lot and changed alot.
i just wanted answers to my unanswered question

Hello again. If you read the article I have posted about I think you'll find most of the answers to your questions are in there. x :)

please read the post properly..i didnt intend to breed i was told i had 4 female rabbits when i bought them.(i only found out when i took them to the vfets and by then it was to late .i have been given alot of bad info before finding this site and i have learned a lot and changed alot.
i just wanted answers to my unanswered question

I have read your thread properly, trust me I can read.

However the comment "I didnt mean to bred them this time was why I posted my next comment.

Back