• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teat lumps

MissNinaMyst

Young Bun
My oldest rabbit Neith often has very swollen teats whenever she comes into season but recently she's come into season and one lump under her teat is huge (marble sized). The lumps aren't very hard, more like they're full of either soft tissue or liquid, and although they do move when I touch them they are attached to her teat.

Not all of her teats are swollen up, and only one is larger than it usually gets. Anyone had this problem before? Vets appointment is tomorrow morning.

It could be an infection.

The other possibility is a mammary tumour. How old is she? IT would be unusual in bunnies under 18 months. Have you thought about getting her spayed? That would stop the hormonal behaviour and prevents uterine and mammary tumours.

Either way the vet should be able to sort it :)

Tamsin

She is 3 years old, and to be honest she hasn't been spayed because we hope to breed her one more time. But if it means a better way of life and better health for her then we'll definitely arrange it tomorrow morning

She is 3 years old, and to be honest she hasn't been spayed because we hope to breed her one more time. But if it means a better way of life and better health for her then we'll definitely arrange it tomorrow morning

It will DEFINATELY mean a better health for her! It cuts the risk of her getting cancer and will stop any hormonal behaviours. She must be aching and uncomfortable when she comes into season if she is getting lumps.

I would never recommend breeding any rabbit- especially if you dont know the rabbits history back to grandparents.

The rabbitsh has been bred once, had a litter of two kits who both died unfortunately. We have been hanging on in order to let her be a successful mummy but her health is paramount. See what vet says tomorrow though at 3 years old I think she's too old for breeding now anyway.

Has no-one else ever had this problem with a female?

If her two previous kits died that is natures way of telling you she shouldnt be bred from. She is too old now amongst a million other reasons.

Rabbits do not need the opportunity to be a "successful mum". What they need is steps taken to protect their health and to be able to live with their own kind. Neutering will enable you to achieve this.

I havent experienced this problem but I would get her checked out by the vet.I hope she is Ok

Back