• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Wounds

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I just wanted to know how people treat their rabbit when he/she gets a cut.

My Milo got bitten on the head by Eddison, and I treated it with 3% hydrogen peroxide. My vet also said I could put a little Neosporin (sorry if that's an american-only company) on it, but only if I was confident he would lick it very much.

It is now scabbed over, and I'm just wondering how I should treat things like this in the future?

When Strawberry had a bite to his leg he had some antibiotics for a few days to make sure it didnt get infected and some metacam. Other than to closely observe we didnt touch the wound at all. It healed within a few days.

When Strawberry had a bite to his leg he had some antibiotics for a few days to make sure it didnt get infected and some metacam. Other than to closely observe we didnt touch the wound at all. It healed within a few days.

Luckily, Milo is finishing up some antibiotics for a UTI right now, so I wonder if that might not help as well.

(Love the name change! :love:)

Luckily, Milo is finishing up some antibiotics for a UTI right now, so I wonder if that might not help as well.

(Love the name change! :love:)

Thanks! I wanted to just be Strawberry but needed to include Snowdrop somehow when we got her!

when pearl had them scabs from the injection the vet told me to wash with salt water a few times a day and i also came home with baytril

i tried sudocrem as well cus its great for my skin :D

Personally I would not use Hydrogen Peroxide on a wound.

The first aid treatment I'd give would depend on the severity and location of the injury.

Superficial scrapes on body - bathe with a mild saline solution.

Puncture wounds- irrigate thoroughly with dilute Hibiscrub. Give abx/analgesia as directed by Vet.

Any wound near eyes- irrigate with cooled boiled water. Check for corneal abrasions

I have also used a Dry Iodine Spray on sureficial wounds.

xx

Pets At Home sell a wonderful range of rabbit first aid (sprays etc) and when Neith had a cut on her ear we just cleaned and then sprayed every day to ease healing.

Personally I would not use Hydrogen Peroxide on a wound.

The first aid treatment I'd give would depend on the severity and location of the injury.

Superficial scrapes on body - bathe with a mild saline solution.

Puncture wounds- irrigate thoroughly with dilute Hibiscrub. Give abx/analgesia as directed by Vet.

Any wound near eyes- irrigate with cooled boiled water. Check for corneal abrasions

I have also used a Dry Iodine Spray on sureficial wounds.

xx

What is the danger of using hydrogen peroxide?

Also, what would you use to make a mild saline solution?

Where would I get dry iodine spray?

(Sorry for all the questions! I'm going to be putting together a "Rabbit First Aid Kit", and these sound like some things I might want to put in there. :) )

With rosie who had a bite on her nose we used hibbiscrub to start, although stopped when she started blowing bubbles :shock: From now on I'd use salt water (saline) on the face & hibi elsewhere

With rosie who had a bite on her nose we used hibbiscrub to start, although stopped when she started blowing bubbles :shock: From now on I'd use salt water (saline) on the face & hibi elsewhere

Is it an even salt mixture, like 50/50 with salt and water? Do you use normal iodized table salt?

What is the danger of using hydrogen peroxide?

Also, what would you use to make a mild saline solution?

Where would I get dry iodine spray?

(Sorry for all the questions! I'm going to be putting together a "Rabbit First Aid Kit", and these sound like some things I might want to put in there. :) )

Hydrogen peroxide burns.
A saline solution is made up by adding a level teaspoon of salt to a pint of boiling water and stirring until it dissolves.

Is it an even salt mixture, like 50/50 with salt and water? Do you use normal iodized table salt?

First, wash your hands.

Using a clean jar with a screw type lid, add 1/4 tsp. of non-iodized table salt to one cup of water. Loosely screw on the lid and place the jar into a sauce pan. Fill the sauce pan with enough water to cover 3/4 of the jar. Cover and boil for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the jar to cool. Tighten the lid. Refrigerate and keep it refrigerated.

Alternately you can boil a cup of water with 1/4 tsp. non-iodized table salt in a clean covered pan.. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Allow to cool (still covered.) Then pour into a clean jar. Refrigerate and keep refrigerated.

ETA- Agree with Maizey, HP burns like :censored: and I have seen some really nasty reactions to it.
On one of my wounds aswell as on a Bunny !! :cry:

Last edited:
Back