• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie's not eating or pooping!! HELP!!

drea87

New Kit
My rabbit Charlie is only 9 months old and just on Monday he's not eating. He ate on Sunday and on Monday I gave him a different kind of food and he didn't eat it. I thought he was just being picky but then I noticed that it's kinda red on his but. Then I noticed some gooey looking stuff coming out. It was a little red and clear. He has not pooped at all and has not eaten either. He still eats the yogurt drops I give him as a treat though. When I take him out of his cage he pretty much just lays down next to it. He does still eat the carpet though. I'm really worried about him. Is anyone familiar with this kind of behavior?? :(

GET HIM TO A VET......NOW

Seriously he could be in stasis or something more serious and need intensive care at the vets!!!

Reddish/clear gooey stuff coming out of the rabbit's bum is definitely not normal. I would take him to a vet ASAP.

What was he eating before and what did you switch it to? Did you change it abruptly or slowly?

I would also stop feeding the yogurt drops, as these are not very good in a rabbit's diet.

But once again, PLEASE get this rabbit to a vet as soon as possible.

I know i'm repeating what everyone else is saying but you must get him to a vet asap. If he's not going to the toilet and he's not eating then this could be serious.

I really hope he is ok and keep us informed x

Sounds as though he has an obstruction/impactation.
This is an EMERGENCY and your Rabbit needs Veterinary attention straight away

Charlie

I changed his brand of food. I'm new to bunny's. I changed it as soon as his old food was out. They didn't have the brand I usually get but it pretty much looks the same. He has also been eating allot of wood chips before this happened. The kind you buy at the pet store and put in the cage. Could that have been whats causing this??

I changed his brand of food. I'm new to bunny's. I changed it as soon as his old food was out. They didn't have the brand I usually get but it pretty much looks the same. He has also been eating allot of wood chips before this happened. The kind you buy at the pet store and put in the cage. Could that have been whats causing this??

Please contact your Vet now
We can only speculate on what may have caused the problem and that is not going to help your Rabbit if he is as sick as you say he is.
To be blunt the symptoms you describe could lead to a fatality and time is of the essence to give the Vet a chance to help.

Rabbits have very sensitive stomachs you must always gradually introduce new foods by mixing the new food with there usual food for at least 10 days. Please go to the vets asap.

I agree with everyone else, it needs a vets attention! Bunnys guts are very sensitive as people have already said, and as soon as a rabbit stops eating it starts shutting down, once it has its a right B***** to get started again!

There could be a blockage, you said it was eating carpet and wood shavings, maybe the fibres have caused a fur ball like object in its gut, although it probably stopped eating because of the change of food, and the carpet maybe have exaggerated it maybe? My youngest bun has taken to eating the odd shaving, but as shes eating hay and food it just goes through her system, but if yours ate it after it stopped eating it could be a factor.

It may have stopped eating because of the change of food, they can be fussy which is why your bun might not have wanted to try it, which is another reason why you normally mix, aswell as to stop gut upsets.

I think some people need to recognise that you're new to this, with food, i know so many people who just swap their new buns food to whatever they want as they just dont know, pet shops are shocking at not telling you to swap slowly. Aswell as this, people who are used to cats and dogs may notice them not eating for a day but theyre fine the next. This is not normally the case with bunnies, its much more serious.

At the same time as understanding your point of view, if it has a red goo, i think anyone who knows nothing about rabbits would know this isnt a good sign, surely?

Please do take the bun to the vets asap, say everything you said here, theyll probably check teeth etc and give a gut stimulant and fibreplex aswell as syringe food.

Iv never know red goo before, my dental bun has nothing like that. The only goo i had was when my youngest bun was seriosuly ill and not eating, lots of green like goo came out with her first poos, which is apparently normal.

Im glad youv come to somewhere like this forum, please get the rabbit seen to asap and once thats sorted, please come on here and check posts and ask any questions about anything, its better to ask early on than later when youv got a problem! Good luck, and let us know what the vet says!

Back