• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

oh no - sneezing and wet nose again

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
looks like a trip to the vets :( eric's had a few snotty sounding sneezes over the last 2 or 3 days. not many at all (not like the constant dry sneezes before with the awful scabby nose etc) but i've just noticed his nose looks wet.

maybe he's been grooming and its just a coincidence. or maybe that wretched pasteurella or whatever it is has risen again:( i'm gutted as he's been - and is - so happy and well these days. he's eating, pooping, weeing, drinking fine and is binkier than ever just lately, no stress at all. what could flare it up? is sneezing and wet nose always snuffles?

he is due for a check up on 9th june - should i go tomorrow?
just when you think it safe to relax eh......:cry:

I wouldn't wait as it could turn into pneumonia if left untreated. Has the vet done a swab for culture and sensitivity on the discharge?

oh no!!!!! i think my gut instinct is to take him sooner rather than later. don't want to chance anything after wasting so much time trusting my previous vet. the diagnosis wasn't clear - probably pasteurella. she couldn't do swabs due to the hideous scabbing on his nose but now thats healed i hope she can.

baytril was impossible to give to him so he had a broad spec anti-biotic jab every other day which sorted my little man out.

there isn't much discharge at all - just a tiny bit from one nostril - but he's grooming a lot too at the moment. not sure whether thats due to his nose or whether its because he's moulting.

Your gut instinct sounds like a good one.
Rabbits are very fastidious, so he may be cleaning away the discharge before you see it.
Although pasteurella is the usual culprit, there are several other bugs than can cause these symptoms. C&S will help the vet decide on the most appropriate antibiotic :)

Hope they're both ok: what's up with your son or is it best not to ask?

he's only 10 so it's not quite man flu:lol: he had a rotten cold a while ago and its left him with a chesty cough. its not an emergency as such but when i tried to book him an appt yesterday, they said they couldn't book in advance so to ring on thursday:roll:

hope my vet can get me in with eric easier than that!

x

Awh not my poor little Eric poorly? He needs a cuddle from Auntie Dusty!

Hope he's soon feeling better after a trip to the vets tomorrow. We had a snuffly bunny who got upset and snotty by the tiniest things like someone else coming in to feed him:roll:

Hope your sons feeling better soon too. Have you tried a good expectorant cough mixture like Meltus or Benylin? Those coughs in kids just go on and on don't they. I also recommend anything that evokes deep breathing, it makes 'em cough but that clears the "nasties" from the bottom of the lungs;)

thanks dusty. eric's just a bit wet nosey. seems absolutely fine and 'eric-y' in every other way but i think after the probs i've had with him in the last few months i'm probably a bit paraniod:oops: and i am dreading my hols even more now:cry:

son will be fine i'm sure. he has very occasional asthma during hayfever times so i've got the ventolin at the ready just in case. have to be careful what else i give him but i'm sure doc will have a listen to his chest and give him some yummy medicine if needed.

i'm not the kind of mum who rushes her kid to the doc at a slight sniffle at all but eric.......different story:lol: how bad does that sound!!!!

:lol::lol: Yes my kids say I spend far too much time fussing over the rabbits. A few weeks ago my eldest (16) was poorly and it wasn't until about 8 in the evening that I realised he had all the symptoms of Meningitis so it was the out of hours Dr and the hospital late at night, if it had of been the buns I'd have noticed earlier:oops: He didn't have Meningitis in the end (think he was just attention seeking:lol:)

Funny enough when Sweep went away for his holidays he was always fine it was just if he stayed home and someone came to feed him. In the later years he got used to nanny and grandad feeding him and he was fine.

:lol::lol: shouldn't laugh (think i'm cursed with a sick sense of humour:oops:), just glad your son was ok.

lord eric's nose this morning is dry so i feel a bit of a pillock! i'll keep my eye on him before i rush to the vets i think. he's already had his breakfast and is devouring a cardboard box now (he's supposed to play in the hay inside the box, not eat the bloomin box!).

did your snotty bun need lots of treatment or did the symptoms just come and go if he was a bit upset?

:lol::lol: shouldn't laugh (think i'm cursed with a sick sense of humour:oops:), just glad your son was ok.

lord eric's nose this morning is dry so i feel a bit of a pillock! i'll keep my eye on him before i rush to the vets i think. he's already had his breakfast and is devouring a cardboard box now (he's supposed to play in the hay inside the box, not eat the bloomin box!).

did your snotty bun need lots of treatment or did the symptoms just come and go if he was a bit upset?

Sweep just had baytril when his symptoms arose and thankfully that always did the trick. In his last hear he developed an abcess on his tummy which despite being 8 he had removed. Unfortunatley it came back within 4 months, he went on to baytril longterm. The poor mite got flystrike the same year and battled bravely (his poor bottom was well known by the nurses at our vets:oops:) but later that year he lost the use of his back legs suddenly so we decided enough was enough and helped him to the bridge as they say - my son who wasn't yet 2 at the time still thinks he's at the vets, (we left him looking peaceful on the vets table) and regularly asks when we can bring him home (he's 4 1/2 now) we didn't think he'd remember :oops: Had I of known about manuka honey etc I would have given it a go.

Sweep just had baytril when his symptoms arose and thankfully that always did the trick. In his last hear he developed an abcess on his tummy which despite being 8 he had removed. Unfortunatley it came back within 4 months, he went on to baytril longterm. The poor mite got flystrike the same year and battled bravely (his poor bottom was well known by the nurses at our vets:oops:) but later that year he lost the use of his back legs suddenly so we decided enough was enough and helped him to the bridge as they say - my son who wasn't yet 2 at the time still thinks he's at the vets, (we left him looking peaceful on the vets table) and regularly asks when we can bring him home (he's 4 1/2 now) we didn't think he'd remember :oops: Had I of known about manuka honey etc I would have given it a go.

brave boy:( sounds like he really fought it tho as he lived to a decent age (thanks to his mummy:)). kids don't forget anything - my son remembers car trips etc from when he was in a baby seat - a road i haven't driven down for years and he'll pipe up - remember that old house on the corner? (yes - the one that was knocked down 7 yrs ago..... scary!!!:shock:).

i haven't phoned the vet yet as eric seems fine overall so an unnecessary trip would stress him out and do more harm than good. i'm not watching him like a hawk for any changes or bogies at all:oops:......

Back