• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please daisy not eating?

Hi All

Haven't posted for while but i need some advice from you.

Daisy our lop has got dental problems she went for a dental about 6 weeks ago which all went well and started eating again.

About a week ago she got really slow with eating which is what got my attention when she went for her original dental, so i took her again but they could see anything wrong with her teeth but to take her back if she was no better.

Over the weekend she has eaten less and less, she has refused to eat hay since her dental 6 weeks ago and i have tried taster packs and all sorts nothing really does it for her. I took her back yesterday to the vets and they put her out and had a good look but couldn't see much wrong with her teeth.

She is going back today at 6.00pm, she did eat some pellets this morning but has eaten no hay and i have offered all kinds of stuff she would normally jump at but she just looks at it? After to picking her up her chin in quite soggy which makes me think it is something teeth related.

Any ideas as to where to go next? I am really worried.

Thanks in advance

Amanda, Magic & Daisy

I would request skull radiographs. It sounds as though she may have pain in her actual jawbone caused by elongated tooth roots . This can sometimes involve tooth root abscesses and bone infection (osteomyelitis)
I would also insist on her being given daily analgesia

Good luck

Just to add that my bun had a dental just over a month ago. It is only in the past week or so she has started to eat hay properly again. I tried five different types of hay, putting it in different places etc before hand and she just suddenly started picking at it.

Also, Jane was a great help to Amber. After her dental she wasn't eating so on Jane's advice i marched down to the vet and insisted on pain killer ( i asked the vet about painkiller when i picked her up but was told she didn't need any). They begrudingly gave it to me and bun started eating after giving her some Metacam (thanks Jane;))

Back