• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yoshi update - not good :-(

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
Hi I took Yoshi to Langford today & Biski came along for the ride too. Well the news wasn't good unfortunately they cannot operate as it would mean taking away over half his jaw. So I have to now make the terrible decision as to when to let him go, the vet has given me painkillers for him but at the moment he is still eating, up and about and pooping.

To top it off the vet also took a look at Biski and she also has problems too, her teeth are causing her problems and she might have ekeolytis (spelled incorrectly). So he has advised that when it's Yoshi's time to go to let Biski go too. I'm so devastated.. The vet must have thought what a stupid blythering idiot I was, as I was crying even before we got into the consultation room

How does one know when it's time, as I don't want him to suffer just so I have longer with him (even though I do) I'm so gonna miss him :cry:

I also want to thank everyone who has given me advice especialy Anne and Nosey, I hope everything is going well for you both. It has meant a lot to have someone who understands to talk too.

Oh noooo I am so sorry. Do you know if the bone is infected? I dunno but if he is not in pain and still eating fine etc. why don't they try and lance the abscess and flush it and give antibiotics? I think some people mentioned some antibiotics that work especially well with abscesses on a different thread. This treatment worked very well with Nosey's abscess and his osteomyelitis is still under controll.

Maybe someone has more advice?
I don't know what "ekeolytis" is, is there no treatment for this?

Nosey is due for his checkup today but he is doing just fine.

Hugs to you, you must be devastated.

Oh my goodness, you must be heartbroken.

I have no advice to offer but I hope you will have a long time yet with your beloved bunnies.

I am thinking of you, Yoshi and Biski. Lots of hugs and vibes from me, Charlie and Bella xxxx

I don't know what "ekeolytis" is said:
I dont know if I have spelt that correctly but I think he said it was a parasite or something it can be treated but with everything else going on he didn't think it would be worth it in the long run.

Yoshi has more going on than just the abscess too and again I was advised it's not worth putting him any more, as much as it breaks my heart..

Just got to enjoy however much time we have left, I hate life :( it sucks

I am so sorry to hear your news. I hope that you can find the strength to get through. Give them lots of love from us.

Jane, Indy and Fluffy xxx

I'm so sorry you have had bad news about Yoshi :(

We have an abscess bunny here who we decided not to operate on for different reasons. She is permanently on antibiotics and pain relief and I lance the abscesses where I can without causing her too much discomfort.

So far she has had 3 happy months and we are hoping she has a few more ahead of her, although we have just felt a 5th capsule today.

While she is happy and eating we will carry on as we are, so you may still have plenty of time left with Yoshi through daily management of the abscess, even without surgery :)

I dont know if I have spelt that correctly but I think he said it was a parasite or something it can be treated but with everything else going on he didn't think it would be worth it in the long run.

Yoshi has more going on than just the abscess too and again I was advised it's not worth putting him any more, as much as it breaks my heart..

Just got to enjoy however much time we have left, I hate life :( it sucks

Surely the Vet was not meaning PTS due to Encephalitizoon Cuniculi (EC).............:?

Back