• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental Procedures

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Lottie is going to be going in for a dental next week, having never had one go in for one before i'm feeling abit anxious.

What happens?
Do i take Albie with her or leave him at home?
What should she be given, pain wise?
When should she eat again?

Also just wondering on average how much does a dental cost?

My Lilly had one last week. First time ever I've had a bun have a dental.
I took her in cos she wasn't wanting to eat and seemed in pain so they admitted her, gave her treatment for her gassy belly first, painkiller syringe feed etc, that was on a wednesday and they waited for her to be a bit stronger and then on the Friday did the dental.
They told me it was just the one spur causing the bother and gave her some gas but she was under for a very short time.
Throughout all this time she had her friend Daisy with her, who stayed with her during her recovery from the GA too.
All that only came to £68! :shock: But I've no idea what the breakdown of that was and my vets do seem to be very reasonable.
Sorry, not sure if any of thats any help at all but I was amazed by how right as rain Lilly was when she came home, she's been eating just fine since but whether that's cos it was a small spur and not as involved as some other dental problems i dont know. :?
Sorry, I'm rambling! Good luck for next week Lottie! x

Yep take Albie with her
She should be given a pain killer injection but you could ask for some Metacam to give next day if she is still uncomfortable
Depending what is done she could eat right away or not for a few hours..you must monitor this but a routine dental shouldn't cause probs.
Offer grated/mashed veg and pellets if she is reluctant to eat at first.
Costs vary from vet to vet..is she having a ga or not?
and give her a cuddle from me! xx

I am in the minority, in that I don't take rabbit partners to the vet, they stay at home.
Mine always get an antibiotic injection, metochloprimide, either rimadyl or metacam pain killer and fibreplex. That is usually all they need, unless it has turned out to be a bigger, more complicated op than expected. They can be a bit woozy when they come home, so it can be the next morning before they eat, I always offer grated carrot and dandilion when they come home incase their mouth is a bit tender. I also give then a snuggle pad as they are less able to control their body temp after a GA. I also put their friend back in with them.
It usually costs us between £60- £100.
Hope all goes well.:D

Thanks alot for that. Glad Lily is okay now.

Lottie and Albie both had there Myxi vacs last week and i always ensure any trip to Vets that there teeth are checked as they are dental bunnies.

Lottie had lost 300+grams in weight since visiting previously and her teeth had developed spurs, i was told to monitor her and return in one month to discuss the dental. Its only been a week but i feel she has lost more weight. She is happy eating her pellets and veg but isnt really touching hay.

I dont want to up her pellets, (i feed them separately) as then she may stop touching hay all together. What do you all think?

Im waiting for the Vet to phone back with regards to what we should do next :)

Last edited:
Yep take Albie with her
She should be given a pain killer injection but you could ask for some Metacam to give next day if she is still uncomfortable
Depending what is done she could eat right away or not for a few hours..you must monitor this but a routine dental shouldn't cause probs.
Offer grated/mashed veg and pellets if she is reluctant to eat at first.
Costs vary from vet to vet..is she having a ga or not?
and give her a cuddle from me! xx

Im not too sure im assuming under GA yes.

I will give her a cuddle :D

this thread will help me next week too :D

im not taking Pearl when Alvin goes in, she will wait at home and look after her man when he returns

I don't tend to send partners either, especially if they are likely to be coming home the same day. It also makes it easier for the vets to assess how much the bunis eating and pooing afterwards :)

If she is loosing weight I would definately increase the food she is eating, it wont affect her wanting to eat hay if she is able to eat it. It is better to have her eating well before a GA :)

I don't tend to send partners either, especially if they are likely to be coming home the same day. It also makes it easier for the vets to assess how much the bunis eating and pooing afterwards :)

If she is loosing weight I would definately increase the food she is eating, it wont affect her wanting to eat hay if she is able to eat it. It is better to have her eating well before a GA :)

Thanks Liz. I will give her two meals a day :)

Thanks Liz. I will give her two meals a day :)

No problems, it may take a while to get the amount right, too much will cause excess caecotrophs, so if that happens just cut down a bit. I normally find it's not a problems with bunnies loosing weight though :?

Back