• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teeth spurs?

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Took Smudge for his Myxi injection last month andthe vet said to keep an eye cos slight spurs were beginning :( Took him again today for the VHD and she checked his teeth again (Lovely vet) and said they had made his tongue slightly sore but are no worse than last time and don't need filing yet. but to keep an eye. :( Hope he doesn't become a dental bun - poor thing. Is there anything I can do to help him? He demolishes cardboard boxes and wooden chews but doesn't eat a lot of hay. He has a handful of pellets each day. I have cut the amount of them down to encourage him to eat more hay but he doesn't and has lost alittle weight - but not cos he's not eating - if I gave more pellets he'd eat loads.

Sounds exactly like Biscuit bunny, try different types of hay, Biscuit now has Timothy hay with Green oats hay and lots of dried herbs.

Have a look on the hay expert web site.

Clare x

I don't understand that, surely if it is making his tongue slightly sore he needs a dental now.

I don't like eating much if my tongue is sore:? I would get a second opinion if it were me

We were told the very same thing last week that Biscuit had slight spurs and her tongue looked a little red.

Well after two episodes of not eating she went under GA and had them burred and xrays taken.

They said that her teeth were not the cause of it, and prevention in the future, such as feeding her no pellets at all, 20% greens and the rest hay. Also because she is a lop to get her moving around more, but basically they didn't think she is a dental bunny and that she may just be prone to stasis.

Try some fresh herbs this stimulates Biscuit into eating loads of hay.

So the Vet thinks its OK to leave the Bun with sharp teeth that have already started to cause a sore tongue :shock:

Personally I'd be taking my Rabbit to another Vet.
If you have ever had an ulcer on your tongue you'll know how painful they can be :cry:

thats really strange.... the vet told me even tho Alvin has little spurs which have not affected his mouth/tongue at all he needs his teeth done soon... next Thursday to be exact :cry: (half wish i had your vet right now :oops:)

he bounced back so quick after his hunger strike i dont think it was his teeth but gas again, but they will cause problems if they are left :(

I would definitely have them done soon as really. If he's getting a sore tongue from them now, i think regardless of how much hay he eats, it's not going to recitify the sore tongue and the spurs that are already existing :?

I can imagine it must be painful, if they can see signs of soreness on the tongue already. When Bubbles needed a dental, her tongue was fine on the Thursday but, by the time of the op on the Monday, her tongue was very ulcerated, so it can worsen very quickly.

I would seek a second opinion re. the dental but also to help avoid problems in future try lots if different hays as already suggested. Mine seem to love the stalky Dust Free Hay, but turn their nose up at oat, wheat and barley hay, so it's a case of trial and error really to find one they really like. Maybe mix his pellets/some herbs into the hay, or a little grated carrot so that he has to forage for the good bits and hopefully nibble some of the hay at the same time.

I agree with the others. Honey has small spurs but when they checked them they said its not making her mouth sore so just keep an eye on them. They would have dealt with them if they were making her mouth sore.

What I have done is change her pellets to Science Selective Mature as they are higher in fibre and she only gets six of these a day now, I give her hay cakes and different types of hay, veggies and herbs. I try to pick some grass each day to go in with her litter tray. She did have some on her front teeth but they have gone now so hopefully I am doing something right.

I know I'm new here, but Thumper & I have had a desperate 3 1/2 years of gas, hypomotility, ileus, obstruction, & getting fluid into him. It started just as you describe - a craving for cardboard anything with wood pulp in it, & dry leaves. & wouldn't eat hay, gradually stopped drinking water. He's usually eaten pellets to the end (can sort of shatter them & doesn't need that side to side grinding motion.) - got fluids from grass & veg. NO vet thought his tiny molar spurs were causing probs. He's never had signs of a sore tongue/ cheek. He had his 1st dental last Dec- a different rabbit! no major gut probs since. Had his 3rd last night,cos he stopped drinking. As soon as he came home, drank loads & went straight to his hay!
I'd give a dental a try & see how he is afterwards.
ps. He has molar spurs which are different from front teeth spurs.

Last edited:
I know I'm new here, but Thumper & I have had a desperate 3 1/2 years of gas, hypomotility, ileus, obstruction, & getting fluid into him. It started just as you describe - a craving for cardboard anything with wood pulp in it, & dry leaves. & wouldn't eat hay, gradually stopped drinking water. He's usually eaten pellets to the end (can sort of shatter them & doesn't need that side to side grinding motion.) - got fluids from grass & veg. NO vet thought his tiny molar spurs were causing probs. He's never had signs of a sore tongue/ cheek. He had his 1st dental last Dec- a different rabbit! no major gut probs since. Had his 3rd last night,cos he stopped drinking. As soon as he came home, drank loads & went straight to his hay!
I'd give a dental a try & see how he is afterwards.

Is he a lionhead by any chance?

Lionel my lionhead eats tons of hay, loves things to chew on like willow (and the odd wire of course) only has a few pellets etc etc and he has still developed spurs, he has had his teeth done twice in the last 3 months and my vet advised there is nothing more i can really do to 'prevent' them as its probably down to bad breeding.

You could try lots of different hays with him as well to give him a bit more variety, i know my lot wouldn't eat so much if i only gave them the same type all the time :roll: You should try oat wheat and barley hay no bun i have had has been able to resist it!

Different varieties of hay is really good advice. Our prob. is that his teeth don't meet properly. I don't think that the fiber stops the spurs but does slow them down, certainly keeps his gut going.:) :) :) :) :) :)

I found that fresh Hawthorn leaves for main veg help, ( have to cut off any buds, flowers & berries however immature cos they affect the heart rate & thorns) but you need to be near fields. Marie Kubiac says it's OK. In winter he has plenty of apple prunings cos he eats a lot of the bark.

Sounds weird, but is closer to a "wildie" diet.

Thanks everyone - the thing is he free ranges most of the day on the garden which is full of weeds - dandylions/thistles etc and loves them and the grass/moss but just isn't fond of hay - he will eat it but only about a handful a day whereas he is probably filled up on grass/greens but he soooo loves being out I don't want to restrict his free ranging. He drinks fine and LOVES his pellets which, as I say, I am reducing. He's a mini Rex by the way.

Just to say what the others have said really. My bun stopped eating hay and then pellets. The morning she didn't demolish her greens she was marched to the vets. She had small spurs but hadn't effected her tongue but they took her in right then to file them.

Back