• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets today or tomorrow? U/D back from vets

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I am getting more and more worried about Peter. I started changing his food from mix to pellets 2 weeks ago. He would just eat the mix and push the pellets to the side. Yesterday I finally just put pellets in. He took one look at it and hopped off. He ate nothing. After about 2 hrs I was so overcome with guilt that he didnt have food he liked I cracked and changed the pellets for his normal mix.

I really thought he was just being fussy, which he is, but he turned his nose up at the mix too. I gave him veg at supper time which he ate a little of, he ate a very little bit of hay. I left his mix bowl in overnight in case he got hungry but this morning it is still untouched.:(

He does have 24/7 access to grass but I havent noticed him eating the grass and it still looks pretty long.

I have him booked in with the vet tomorrow for his myxi jab. Do you think it will be ok to wait till tomorrow or take him today? He is pooing but they are a little smaller than normal.

He is also going through a pretty heavy moult right now.

Last edited:
I would take him today.
How old is he? He may have problems with his teeth making it uncomfortable for him to eat.
Your Vet can also check his abdomen.

Good luck

i'd be inclined to bring his visit forward a day if you can - hopefully he's fine - but you will spend all day worrying as i think you feel you should take him today. if you don't, by the time the vet's closes, you'll be kicking yourself! (speaking from my own experience here but fortunately i'm very impulsive!).

x

He is 2 years old. Have just been out again to check him and he is eating some hay. I think I will take him today though.

Thanks everyone.

Just seen this Becky.

He might have a sore tummy from the lovely grass (too much maybe) so it's great that he's going today. He might also be a bit bunged up with fluff as he hasn't got a friend yet to groom him.

Sure an early check up with sort him out. Vibes coming your way.

Helen

Just got back.

The vet checked his teeth and felt his tummy. She said his teeth were fine and that his tummy felt ok too. She has prescribed some metacam just in case.

Typically as soon as I put him back in his hutch he went straight to his litter tray for a great poo and then straight to his food bowl!!! Argghh! I thought having pets was supposed to reduce stress!!

The vet had given him a dose of the metacam but it couldnt have worked in 10 mins could it?

Should I put off the bonding? If I can't do it this wkend it will be a while before I have o/h at home again for 3 days to do all the childcare stuff while I concentrate on Peter and Mopsy. Obviously if he's still poorly I won't.

Back