• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Its his first time at the vets on friday....

Benjamin09

Young Bun
I'm just a bit nervy about what I'm to do with Cheddar when I go to the vets with him on friday for his first myxi vacination.

I've only been to the vets with the dogs, and they're really well behaived - and well a poorly hamster, who wasn't in much of a state to be mischeivious!

But I'm just a little worried about him. Will the vet hold him while s/he gives the jab, or will I? If me, any tips how best to hold him. He's usually really calm when against my chest, but as soon as he's flat he likes to explore and is really fidgety... and do you think it'll hurt him enough for him to jump whilst he's having it or would they not feel it much?

If Cheddar is anything like my buns he will be an angel for the vet :roll:
All of my rabbits have this angelic behavior when at the vets and return to their usual ways once home.

I'm sure he will be fine - my bunnies are usually a little subdued from being in a strange place.

My vet usually asks me to hold the bunnies while they check their teeth/heart etc first & then I keep hold of them while they have their jabs. They don't seem to feel the needle - neither of them have ever flinched or anything. :)

Alvin is demonic.. prepare for a jumping bunny then when hes good youll be pleasently surprised :lol::lol:

Alvin has to be examined on the floor :oops::oops::oops::oops:

eric originally froze at the vets making his jabs very easy. i think they usually freeze, push backwards or just boooiiinnngggg:D eric's been for so many jabs now tho, he's got wise to the new vets and likes to explore:roll:

good luck!

Don't worry. You'll both be fine. Thumper's pretty scared at the vets (probably the smell of disinfectant & other animals) - very subdued. The vets vary. Mine gives a small amount into the base of the ear, then pinches up a fold of skin at the scruff of the neck for the jab. "Scruffing" immobilizes many animals, & even if Cheddar wriggles the injection site won't move. I'd take the lead of the vet - they're the experts.

With us, I block escape to the front & stroke him from base of nose to ears (calms him) but don't actually hold him. I put his favourite soft toy in his carrier. Rabbits often like something familiar to cuddle up to in a strange environment. The other thing about Thumper is that when it's over, he throws a temper tantrum in his carrier! Just saying, "I didn't like that 1 bit!", but rabbits have very individual personalities. Mine happens to be very expressive!

Just ask lots of questions. Make sure you ask about anything you don't understand, and they should be more than happy to answer your questions. I know that there has to be a note in my file now that says, "Schedule an extra 20 minutes, possibly training to be a vet" :lol:

Back