• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do....person wanting rabbit help

MiniMadTez

Mama Doe
I put my sisters old guinea pig hutch on gumtree and got a text from someone asking the measurements....I gave them the size and this is how the text convo went:

Them - "is it an ok size, its for my 3 year old son"

Me - "Your son wouldn't fit in it, (ok so I tried to be funny) It's too small unless you were planning on attaching a run to it, is it for a rabbit(s) or a guinea pig(s)?"

Them - "Either, which do you suggest"

Me - "I wouldn't suggest either unless you have really looked into owning rabbits or guinea pigs, as both are much more money and work than people realise until it is too late for the poor animals, hence why so many end up neglected and/or unwanted, also not a good idea for such a young child"

Them - "ok, well can you give me advice on how to look after them, I only know how to give them some food lol"

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

I have to admit that when I got Mooch I got him spur of the moment, and I shouldn't have, but I have since learn't ALOT about rabbits and I like to think I'm a good bunny mummy to him now.....I regret getting him knowing so little to start with but no1 should make the same mistake. It's not fair on the animals!

Anyway, what do I do?! I feel like if I don't help they are just going to get a hutch, go to PAH for a rabbit, and it will be stuck in a hutch all its life.....maybe some attention for the first week or so, then they will be bored of it! :censored:

I'd give honest advice, and if they still want rabbits/guineapigs after that, then they should make good rabbit/guineapig owners. You could also point them here. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I'd give honest advice, and if they still want rabbits/guineapigs after that, then they should make good rabbit/guineapig owners. You could also point them here. Everyone has to start somewhere.

That's very true, I just hope they are willing to research and learn.

If I do point them here can someone delete this post?! I dont really want them to think I've been 'bitching' or anything!

How big is the hutch :? I would suggest they research first :roll: I would mention how much a rabbit costs, vaccinations, neutering, vets bills. A guinea pig doenst cost as much, and is probably easier for a small child to handle :? Though saying that if hes only 3 it will be the parents responsibility.

Rather you than me, hope you get through to them :) xXx

The hutch is only 120cm by about 45 high and 45 deep.

I text them saying that there are good websites available with info and that I am happy to answer any questions and offer any help that I can. Will see what they say.

I feel like I am sorta now responsible for what happens :?

Back