• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

AVOCADO - Message from the RWAF

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Just received one of the RWA first alert notices and wanted to share it with you all..

"A member has contacted us about a tragic incident where several
rabbits died after eating avocado. The member wished us to pass this
on as a warning to other rabbit owners that it is extremely toxic to
rabbits, and also to dogs, cats, horses and goats.

You may already be aware of what you can and cannot feed your rabbit,
but the vet dealing with the case was unaware of the toxicity of
avocado to certain animals, and so there's a chance that many owners
will not know either."

This is also toxic to gerbils. Seemingly it does something which makes the internal organs - especially the heart stop working properly.

Thank you for posting this.I feed my dogs a raw diet,part of which consists of different vegetables and fruit mixed up in a food processor then frozen in ice cube trays.I bought an avocado for the first time the other day and added it to the mix.I will be throwing the lot away today

Thankfully can't stand the stuff. I have a horse who gets loads of different fruit and veg and I only found out a few months ago that it was toxic to horses. If I liked it myself he probably would have been dead long ago. I do check before giving fruit/veg to my rabbits but must admit to not being so meticulous with my horse. Love him to bits so god knows why. I will be more careful in future though.

Back