• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We're gutted as we think it's time to let our elderly cat Jasper go - 27/5 He's gone

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
I can't believe I'm posting this, but sadly it looks like we have reached the time when we will need to let our elderly cat Jasper go to rainbow bridge :cry:

Jasper found us as a stray 14 years ago - he literally turned up one day, came in the house, got on the spare bed & that was it - he moved in :shock::lol: He'd obviously been somebody's cat, as he had been neutered & had part of his tail missing - but he just wouldn't leave us & never left after that first day :)

While I was away in Namibia last November, Mark had to take him to the vets & Jane diagonosed that he had a tumour in his tummy :cry: We decided not to operate due to his age - we think he's at least 16 - 17 years old. We decided to treat his condition in the best manageable way & let him live out his time with us as comfortably as possible, without surgery.

We took him to see Jane a month ago, as we thought his time was approaching - she agreed it was, but that he wasn't ready to go yet. Over the weekend he has detoriated & we now think his time is here - we're taking him in to see Jane at 6.15pm tomorrow night for her to give us her opinion. However, talking to her this afternoon - she says she believes it will be best for him - so unless there is some miracle that Jane can do for Jasper, we will have to let him go peacefully :cry:

We're both gutted - but we have to think about what's best for Jasper & about his quality of life, which we feel he no longer has. I just pray he passes peacefully if it's his time to go.

Here's a pic of our brave little soldier.
DSCF3619-1.jpg

Last edited:
its an horrible thing to do and i went through this in jan with my beloved boxer dog george taking him to the vet was heartbreaking but you have to remember that all the kindness friendship and loyalty they have given to you over the years you have to return this kindness now with your final gesture of kindness to him xxx

I'm so sorry Denise,you have had more than your fare share of heart ache recently.At least Jasper has had a very happy life with you.I will be thinking of you tomorrow.God bless you xxxxxxx

So sorry Denise, you have had so much to cope with lately, take comfort in knowing that Jasper wanted to spend the last 14 years with you, I hope there is a miracle waiting for you tomorrow, I will be thinking of you and Jasper:(

I'm so sorry about jasper, it sounds like he has had a fantastic life with you :) Its funny how cats just know where there is a good home, walk in and decide they are staying, it has happened to us a few times :)

I hope you can spend some good quality time together over the next 24 hours and we will be thinking of you all tomorrow evening xxx

Awww sorry to hear this, it's awful when it gets to the point of 'the decision'. I'm sure you and your vet will make the best decision for your gorgeous Jasper and if tomorrow is the day to say 'goodbye', at least you know that you have given him a long and happy life and are able to give him that final act of love in letting him go.

Big hugs to you xxx

So sorry peaceful vibes for Jasper. You know when the time comes you will make theright choice for him. ((((hugs))))

Thank you everyone - I can't quite get my head round the fact that after 14 years together, that this will probably be the last night he sleeps on our bed :cry: He's currently snuggled at the side of Mark, as peaceful as he can be.

He has been the most wonderful companion in the time we've had him - not just to us but to the bunnies as well. He loved our first housebun Roscoe to bits & they were never very far from each other. More recently he's really taken to Emily & Noah - often curling up in their beds with them for a snooze :love:

I've not told my Dad yet, but he'll be gutted too - as Jasper always loves being with my Dad whenever he comes round :cry:

I know it's one of the kindest things you can do for any pet, but god it's so hard :cry:

I'm so sorry Denise. :(:( Jasper has had a wonderful life with you and you will make the right decision for him. Sending you lots of strength and wishing Jasper a peaceful passing if today is the day. xxx

Back