• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One of my "friends" on Facebook has put this!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
has anyone got a rabbit hutch they dont need or know where i can get one at a fair price daves said i cant have a puppy but i can have a rabbit lol
:censored::censored::censored:

My reply =

I would think twice about getting a rabbit - they are sooooooooo expensive and really hard to look after - believe me! I thought they just sat in hutches but they need company, preferably of another rabbit. Thousands of rabbits in rescues need homes as people dont realise how much care they need. If you do get a rabbit, please think about a rescue bun x x x

Eugh I hate when people think about pets like that..ooh it's just a rabbit or guinea pig or hamster :censored: I hope she listens

I wish people would look up pets they want to get, about 1-2 months in advance :roll:
Maybe give her a few links about rabbit care and the costs?

Ste & Ralph wouldnt let me keep the dog my mom couldnt cope with so she went back to Scotland to Ste's mom.... i got a rabbit instead... if only i found RU first to talk me out of it huh :?

Same here!! My boss phoned yesterday to ask about rabbits. People seem to think they are a cheap and easy pet. I told her how many are abandoned each year because they weren't what people thought they would be. If only we could change the world!!

im also guilty of 1/2 hour research before rushing out to buy stella (thinking chipmunks were little monkeys) :oops::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

>>>> impulse buyer here <<<< and i wouldnt change a thing lol

Sure you're not overreacting?
In my opinion dogs can be more work than rabbits (having to be walked every day whilst rabbits are happy with just getting a run in the garden)
Hey, I wasn't allowed to have a rat so I got a hamster instead. That must make me a horrible person:roll:
Its nice that you want to give this person advice but to flat out "hate" them for wanting a rabbit doesn't seem right.

Yeah, but she doesn't sound as though she really wants one. She wants a puppy but the rabbit is the compromise. Not good for the rabbit in my opinion. It's a whim and impulse thing.

Yeah, but she doesn't sound as though she really wants one. She wants a puppy but the rabbit is the compromise. Not good for the rabbit in my opinion. It's a whim and impulse thing.

Are you sure? All I see is one short sentence about asking for a rabbit hutch.
For all we know she could have researched rabbits already.
Try not to jump to conclusions instantly;)

If that were the case I would have thought Cat would have known as friends tend to talk about such things. Anyhoo, just sounds like a whim to me, can't have what I want so I'll have something else.

im also guilty of 1/2 hour research before rushing out to buy stella (thinking chipmunks were little monkeys) :oops::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

>>>> impulse buyer here <<<< and i wouldnt change a thing lol

I don't think I did ANY research before I got Oliver! Very much an impulse purchase but he's the best stupid thing I've ever done!

I got Poppy cos I wasn't allowed a cat....I am evil too I suppose:roll:

I appreciate that she could be doing it on a whim but there's no need to make assumptions...best to offer her some help than try and talk her out of it.

I don't think I did ANY research before I got Oliver! Very much an impulse purchase but he's the best stupid thing I've ever done!

:lol::lol::lol: really bad aint it.... i tortured myself over if i wanted a bloke (Ste) for weeks before i gave in and went with it...

i think i get more heart joy from my impulse buys :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

none of my animals i really pined for, i almost got a tortoise before i got Alvin.. i just wanted a pet to fill whatever hole i had in my heart..:shock:

now ive ran out of space i cant even have a stick insect, so im retired on the old impulse buys for now lolol

people always say in quite evil tho so im used to it :oops::oops::oops:

Charlie wasn't an impulse buy but he was an impulse want... I saw bunnys and thought "OMG I WANT ONE" so... I researched them for a bit (off all the sites with BAD advice though:roll: ) and then got one.
Same with the cockatiel.
Rocco was an impulse buy but I'd had a hamster before, so I knew plenty about them.
Rainbow was an impulse as she was dumped on me so I wouldn't have had time to do research even if I wanted to!

Well I can only speak for myself before I got Toby (my first bigger small animal!) I did tons of research but everyone can always improve. Same with the buns but there were things I mostly learnt from this fantastic site and a guinea pig forum for my other pets. I just hope this girl is not buying it on impulse I got Joey and Scooch because I fell in love with them (they were in my petshop that I worked in) so that seemed impulsive but I'd wanted a rabbit since I was about eight ......and read about them all the time :lol:. Like I said before I just hope this woman listens to Cat I don't hate her for wanting a bun but I just would like more impulse buyers to be aware of what they are actually buying before they rush into it. Then less bunnies with rubbish homes. :)

EDIT: Forgot to add this: The way the woman has phrased it seems like "oooh okay can't get a puppy I'll just get a bunny!" without giving it much thought. But I dunno maybe she has I just hate it in general when people don't know squat about the animals they are getting.

Last edited:
i think i get more heart joy from my impulse buys :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

none of my animals i really pined for, i almost got a tortoise before i got Alvin.. i just wanted a pet to fill whatever hole i had in my heart..:shock:

Oliver came about from me pet sitting an hamster for my friend and I started on the 'oh I want a pet' route. Only went into pets at home for a quick look :shock:

Sure you're not overreacting?
In my opinion dogs can be more work than rabbits (having to be walked every day whilst rabbits are happy with just getting a run in the garden)

Bear in mind that some people who have rabbit sized dogs just let them out for a run round the garden rather than take them for a walk. I'd say a rabbit is not far behind being as big a commitment and expense as a small dog and on a par with a cat if you are going to look after him or her properly.

Back