PDA

View Full Version : Pickle Sneezing - EMERGENCY DENTAL - Update 5 - :)

*Spider*
26-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Pickle has been in the same spot since this morning :?
He came out to greet me but when I came back from his driving lesson he still looked hunched up :(
He came out after seeing Ghostie and to have a litte fuss but kept sneezing :(
What could this be?
He has an appointment at 5:45pm.
I obviously am majorly panicking :(

*Spider*
26-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Bump :(

marleyandme
26-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Is he eating and pooing?

Sometimes my rabbits sneeze when they have been digging in their hay bags.

I hope it's nothing serious xxx

Lib_n_bunny
26-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Can't help I'm afraid, but more info might help others with suggestions. Is he eating/drinking/pooping? Is there anything new in his environment? Has anything flowered in your garden or nearby overnight? Have any other animals been near him (e.g. cat might have brought pollen from a distance away)? Maybe all the wrong questions, but wanted to try and help :?

poppymoon
26-05-2009, 02:02 PM
does he sneeze occasionally anyway or are you noticing LOTS of sneezes? eating and drinking ok?

*Spider*
26-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Have never seen a bunny sneeze before and it was pretty much all at once and he started grooming himself while sneezing.
He has eaten his breakfast of broccoli, don't really know if he is pooing.
Usually he is out in the run part of the enclosure, but he just hid in the little box inside by the food bowl.

Fairy13
26-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Aw poor Pickle, I've seen mine sneeze on occasion, but they've shown no sign of being unwell or any discharge etc and its only rarely so I must admit I've thought nothing of it.
If he's hunched up etc and not behaving normally i guess he could be unwell, maybe a respiratory infection? Sounds like you've caught it dead quick though, hope he gets on ok at tha vets. Sending vibes xx

Becky86
26-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Hope everything is ok with Pickle, you should be at the vets now so sending lots of vibes that its nothing bad :) xXx

louise and Gus
26-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh no advice really but hope all is ok with ickle pickle, let us know how it goes at the vet!

Hugo's There
26-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Sending vibes :wave:

*Spider*
26-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Pickle had a tiny bit of discharge but as it was only one sneeze fit have asked me to just monitor it.
HUNKY vet (:love::love::love:) said something about it being related to his teeth, somethig to do wth nasal passage, andlooked at his teeth and thought his molars were awful.
He has never seen anything like it in a bunny. He said he has some spurs, and that the other side looked like they were split almost :?
I am so confused, he is showing no signs of pain and is eating all okay etc.
They are going to reassess when he has his myxi in July, so possibly having a better look via x-ray and a dental :(

VikkiVet
26-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Pickle had a tiny bit of discharge but as it was only one sneeze fit have asked me to just monitor it.
HUNKY vet (:love::love::love:) said something about it being related to his teeth, somethig to do wth nasal passage, andlooked at his teeth and thought his molars were awful.
He has never seen anything like it in a bunny. He said he has some spurs, and that the other side looked like they were split almost :?
I am so confused, he is showing no signs of pain and is eating all okay etc.
They are going to reassess when he has his myxi in July, so possibly having a better look via x-ray and a dental :(

glad to hear his sneezing isnt too worrying
the teeth thing sounds a bit odd though - regardless of if he is currently eating, if his teeth are genuinely that bad then surely they should be sorted while he is still eating i.e. fit and healthy otherwise,not in pain etc - rather than waiting until it becomes a problem, stops eating/losing weight, more of an anaesthetic risk then??

*Spider*
26-05-2009, 06:53 PM
glad to hear his sneezing isnt too worrying
the teeth thing sounds a bit odd though - regardless of if he is currently eating, if his teeth are genuinely that bad then surely they should be sorted while he is still eating i.e. fit and healthy otherwise,not in pain etc - rather than waiting until it becomes a problem, stops eating/losing weight, more of an anaesthetic risk then??

That is exactly what I thought.
Anyway, he said I could come back in 2-3 weeks or wait 5 weeks with his myxi.
While he was at Kris' he dived head first into a pebbledash wall and hurt all his face, I'm sure Kris will tell you more.

Lib_n_bunny
26-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Hmmm, hunky vet you say? I feel about of Munchausen's by bunny coming on ;) :lol:

Jack's-Jane
26-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Seems a bit odd that the Vet didn't want to do a Dental and Xrays now if Pickles teeth are that bad :?

The sneezing may be related to tooth root elongation an Xray would confirm if this is the case.

If he were my Bunny I'd want the Dental done sooner rather than later. I have know several Dental Buns who continue to eat perfectly normally despite having dreadful spurs that have caused ulcers on their chheks and tongue.

XX

Santa
26-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh dear poor Pickle :? I agree with Jane, I think I'd want the dental done sooner rather than later too. If it is tooth root elongation then I believe having the molars burred down pretty much to the gum line will help to alleviate any pain/discomfort and slow any overgrowth. I guess if his teeth look split though, maybe that won't be possible :?

Hope the lovely lad is ok xxx

*Spider*
27-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Am calling vets today to get his x-rays etc. done as soon as possible. I think he is in pain. He is eating fine but he just doesn't seem to be my baby.
Am just about to go to the Post Office to draw out money from my savings and then calling the vet.
Hhopefully we can get this cloud sorted for today or tomorrow.
Please can I have tons of vibes for my baby, I'm so so so worried about him :cry:

Starlight
27-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I hope he is okay :(

I really feel it is a result of the pebbledashing wall incident.
If it is, i couldn't forgive myself :(

As i said in the PM, i am surprised they did not admit him and do treatment immediately, rather than wait until he is obviously in pain and refusing food?

bunnymadhouse
27-05-2009, 11:56 AM
i agree with the others ...better sorted now than later ...

you are doing the right thing ...hope hes ok .. x

oscarbunny
27-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I agree with others too. Sending lots of vibes for little Pickle x

Sparkle x
27-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Hetty your doing the right thing push for the xrays and dental work whilst he is still feeling Ok.

Let us know how Pickle gets on :)

Sending you lots of Vibes xxxx

*Spider*
27-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I hope he is okay :(

I really feel it is a result of the pebbledashing wall incident.
If it is, i couldn't forgive myself :(

As i said in the PM, i am surprised they did not admit him and do treatment immediately, rather than wait until he is obviously in pain and refusing food?

The reason they wanted to wait as I said that he is eating, drinking etc. and felt that the op would be a little too much for him.

I just know in my heart of hearts he is not right. He has been like this for 2 days now and it's not like him.
Usually he's bounding up to the bars demanding noserubs but instead he's in his box looking miserable by himself.
Don't be ridiculous Kris, I'm sure things will work out, just that my pocket will be severly damaged :lol: I will never forgive you for that :lol: (Only joking :lol:)

Starlight
27-05-2009, 12:05 PM
The reason they wanted to wait as I said that he is eating, drinking etc. and felt that the op would be a little too much for him.

I just know in my heart of hearts he is not right. He has been like this for 2 days now and it's not like him.
Usually he's bounding up to the bars demanding noserubs but instead he's in his box looking miserable by himself.
Don't be ridiculous Kris, I'm sure things will work out, just that my pocket will be severly damaged :lol: I will never forgive you for that :lol: (Only joking :lol:)

I would have thought it would be the ideal time, to catch it before it caused him problems :?

Ooh!:oops: -hides- :lol:

*Spider*
27-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I would have thought it would be the ideal time, to catch it before it caused him problems :?

Ooh!:oops: -hides- :lol:

Deffinitely, although he is eating, he wasn't wolfing it down like usual, so it triggered my alarm bells. He does do a chicky impression when he's cold to 'hunch' up, but I think that this hunching is him in pain,
I just hope he is okay with the sedation an invasive whatever they are doing. I am so worried :(

Snowberry
27-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Everything crossed for Pickle today, I know how worrying it is when they have to have a GA but im sure he is in the best possible hands and will be back to his normal self soon!

*Spider*
27-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Everything crossed for Pickle today, I know how worrying it is when they have to have a GA but im sure he is in the best possible hands and will be back to his normal self soon!

Thanks Rachie! I trust my vets 100%

Fairy13
27-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Sending tons of vibes for Pickle xxx

*Spider*
27-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Kris, do you think it would be worth my vet having a chat with yours about the pebbledash incident?

Starlight
27-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Kris, do you think it would be worth my vet having a chat with yours about the pebbledash incident?

Sure, if your vets call mine up, they should fax over his history details to them, so they have all the details that are on his file.

*Spider*
27-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Sure, if your vets call mine up, they should fax over his history details to them, so they have all the details that are on his file.

Great can you PM me what their details are etc.

AprilLynne
27-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Vibes for Pickle!! xx

*Spider*
27-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Pickle has an x-ray and possibly dental at 11.00 am tomorrow :(

Jack's-Jane
27-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Pickle has an x-ray and possibly dental at 11.00 am tomorrow :(

Awwwwww lots of vibes for Pickle

xx

lostunicorn
27-05-2009, 02:40 PM
*hugs and vibes* How did he get on?

*Spider*
27-05-2009, 04:45 PM
It's tomorrow at 11

Becky86
27-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Sending vibes for Pickle for tomorrow :( Poor little man xXx

*Spider*
28-05-2009, 12:29 PM
For a dental, his molars were mobile and Damien could feel them moving with his scope, and was extremely apologetic for not noticing that earlier.
My poor baby, I am so worried about his GA, please can we have vibes :cry:

AprilLynne
28-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Vibes for Pickle!!!
xxx

giantbunnymummy
28-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Poor pickle, loads of vibes for him. Hope he's back to his usual self in no time.

FudgeMallow
28-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Millions of vibes xx

Fairy13
28-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Aww tons of vibes for Pickle x x x

Emm-Jane76
28-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Loads of vibles for 'lil Pickle. Any news yet? x

*Spider*
28-05-2009, 01:29 PM
I suppose they will be putting him under now?

Sparkle x
28-05-2009, 02:46 PM
sending lots of vibes for Pickle xx

Hugo's There
28-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Pickle:wave:

Snowberry
28-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Tons of vibes for Pickle!

xxxx

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 11:40 AM
They still won't let him home. He really isn't doing well :cry:

louise and Gus
29-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Oh no poor Pickle :(

AprilLynne
29-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Vibes for pickle!!

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Vets have just rang, he is hopping about now and had a nibble on some carrot!
Just need a pooey now please Picks!

AprilLynne
29-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Good for Pickle!!

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Still not allowed home :(
Receptionist says he still hasn't past faeces and there is contradicting evidence to whether he has eaten or not :?

Santa
29-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Oh no poor little soul :( Do you think maybe he might actually recover better at home if he's back with his friends in his normal environment (supported with appropriate pain relief, gut stimulant etc).

Hope your little man picks up very soon xxx

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh no poor little soul :( Do you think maybe he might actually recover better at home if he's back with his friends in his normal environment (supported with appropriate pain relief, gut stimulant etc).

Hope your little man picks up very soon xxx

Do you reckon they will let me bring them up?
I am so worried, my family are going up to Oxford tomorrow morning for my little cousin's 1st birthday, so can't ensure he will be okay Sat-Sun morning. Do you think if he isn't better by tomorrow morning it's worth asking the vets to have him for an extra two days with Ghostie and Toffee?

Santa
29-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Might be worth ringing the vets and sounding them out...if he's reasonably well hydrated, on pain relief/gut stimulant and there doesn't seem to be a clinical reason why he isn't eating, then if they're not doing any intervention and just observing at the moment, he may be better off at home.

Being in his normal environment could reduce his stress levels and encourage him to relax back into his normal routine. Of course if he's on iv fluids or something then it would be more tricky but I definitely think it's worth asking what the exact situation is.

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Might be worth ringing the vets and sounding them out...if he's reasonably well hydrated, on pain relief/gut stimulant and there doesn't seem to be a clinical reason why he isn't eating, then if they're not doing any intervention and just observing at the moment, he may be better off at home.

Being in his normal environment could reduce his stress levels and encourage him to relax back into his normal routine. Of course if he's on iv fluids or something then it would be more tricky but I definitely think it's worth asking what the exact situation is.

Okay, will call them now.

Jazzy B Bunny
29-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Hope he feels better soon xx

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Just spoken to a nurse who says he seems relaxed and is taking to syringing well. They still won't let me take him home and it was frustrating them telling me what I already knew :lol: I am praying he will be able to come home tomorrow morning :(

marleyandme
29-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Lots of vibes for Pickle, I hope he poos and starts nibbling soon xxx

Hugo's There
29-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Sending more vibes for Pickle. I agree with Alison, some of my buns will hold on until they get home before pooing, such a shame they wont let him home over night. Fingers crossed that he will be home in the morning :)

Jazzy B Bunny
29-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I know what you mean about them saying what you already know :lol: the usual vets I see dont bother telling me a lot of stuff now.. like how to syringe feed etc.. they even know my voice on the phone :oops:

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I know, I of course would syringe him during the night, and they talked to me like I knew nothing about buns!

Starlight
29-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I know, I of course would syringe him during the night, and they talked to me like I knew nothing about buns!

That would be so annoying!
My vets know i have my own supply of dog and cat Metacam and things like Baytril, Septrin, CC and know how to give s/c fluids etc, so are quite happy to write down dosage details and let them come home if it is not urgent for them to stay in for another reason.

Snowberry
29-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Only just got online today- so sorry hun that Pickle isnt improving. I have everything crossed for him and hope he can come home in the morning.

xxx

Starlight
29-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Hets, if you need me to care for him, just call me and i'll come back to pick him up for the weekend (i'm sure Jon won't notice for a few days!)!

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Hets, if you need me to care for him, just call me and i'll come back to pick him up for the weekend (i'm sure Jon won't notice for a few days!)!

I can't get up there Kris , unless Dagenham is on the way to Oxford?

Starlight
29-05-2009, 08:44 PM
I can't get up there Kris , unless Dagenham is on the way to Oxford?

I'm in Kingston for the weekend :D

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm in Kingston for the weekend :D

Where is that?

Starlight
29-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Where is that?

Surrey ish area i think? I know start of postcode is KT2 ?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Surrey ish area i think? I know start of postcode is KT2 ?

Is that on the way to Oxford?
As you can tell Geography isn't my strongest subject.

Starlight
29-05-2009, 08:54 PM
click the link and put in KT2 hun, i have no idea if it is on the way though!!

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Okay, will chat to my mother dearest (:roll: - I can predict the answer - can't wait till the end of the month when hopefully I pass my test so I won't have to rely on them for transport)
He may not be better for tomorrow and if he isn't I doubt they will let me home.

Starlight
29-05-2009, 09:02 PM
He may not be better for tomorrow and if he isn't I doubt they will let me home.

Oooh are they keeping you in for obs as well?!:lol:

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Oooh are they keeping you in for obs as well?!:lol:
Damien wants a little piece of me during appointments ;)
Does Herman want to join?

Starlight
29-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Damien wants a little piece of me during appointments ;)
Does Herman want to join?

:shock:
Theres a message on my answerphone from him :lol:
Mum refuses to delete it!!!:lol:

antigone
29-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Pickle xx

*Spider*
29-05-2009, 09:18 PM
:shock:
Theres a message on my answerphone from him :lol:
Mum refuses to delete it!!!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
Reckon you could copy it and send it to me?

Starlight
29-05-2009, 09:19 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
Reckon you could copy it and send it to me?

When you pass your test, you can take me to the vet one day and meet him, for some reason, about 75% of my appointments end up with him ;) :lol:

Santa
29-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Het are you going to Oxford with your family or are you worried because you can't pick him up from the vets or get him back there if there's a problem while the rest of your family are away?

I'm around all weekend so if you are home, I should be able to get you back to your vets if there's a problem that can't wait until your family are back.

Snowberry
30-05-2009, 11:32 AM
How is Pickle this morning Hetty?

*Spider*
31-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Sorry, the last message of this thread that I got was about Herman's message on Kris' answerphone.
I was away in Oxford over night so my neighbours looked after him, administered meds etc.
Pickle had to be separated from Ghostie and Toffee so they could monitor them. I put a dog crate in the kennel so that they could see, smell eachother etc., and indeed he was scoffing like a pig and poo-ing so he is now back in with the other lot :)
You'd be glad to here he is now 100%, climbing up the bars, attempting to eat my hair, you name it :D I have him back :)

AprilLynne
31-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Great news!!

Good for Pickle :) xx

Becky86
31-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Thats great news Hetty - im so pleased hes pulled through :) :love: xXx

lostunicorn
19-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Yey good news, sorry for late reply just catching up with threads :oops::p