• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nasty Vet!

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
I took Domino and Pebbles for their Myxi vaccines today, and i cant believe the vet :shock: . We use Spring Lodge in Witham normally but their vaccines are £20 each and our old vet is £12, and in total it costs £240 for spring lodge a year in vacs and £144 at our old vet!

They arent very knowledgeable on bunnies but have never been 'bad'. so i didnt expect any problems.

The vet was one i hadnt seen before, i went into the room and she put a dust mask on and looked at them and said "i better wear this if its bunnies" i was like...ookkay. I picked up pebbles and she had the jab ready and literally as soon as i put her on the table she jabbed her. she didnt even ;look at her, she didnt touch her.

Then came domino, she did the same, and he darted forward because she wasnt holding him.

I was quite annoyed at this point, and then she said "okay thats it done" I said "Well could they have a health check as thats what im payin for?" she said "there fine" i said "thats amazing you know that seeing as you havent touched them or checked their teeth" she begrudginly checked their teeth, and i held pebbles and she GRABBED pebbles head and pulled it back (pebs was on her back cradled in my arms) and poor pebbles was so frightened.

i went "do you mind?" and i was really annoyed at this point. we then did Domino and he leapt out my arms and tried to bite her, because she pulled his head back as well. she then went "dont be annoying" to him.

She didnt weigh them, said they looked a good weight, didnt touch them.

Now, is it me or should a vet health check a bunny prior to vaccines incase their is anythin wrong with the bunny and it cant be vaccinated??

I was so angry i am writing a letter of complaint

I agree, any checks should be done before vaccination. Wonder if she's got a bunny allergy to explain the mask? I would make a complaint if I were you.

Yes do write a letter. That is outrageous!:censored:

Can you imagine a doctor not examining anyone correctly and just do the 'injection' for them.

That is absolutely wrong. You should also write a formal complaint to the RVC (THE ROYAL VETERINARY COLLEGE). All vets should be professional to whatever animal it is.

If that happens to me * God you wouldn't want to know what I'd be like* I'd be fuming and probably end up shouting at the vet. And making a big show at the waiting room to put other clients off.

I hope Domino and Pebbles are okay? Give them loads of cuddles and carrots for me:)

I would guess the vet has an allergy to rabbits.

IMO they shouldn't allow this vet to see rabbits if she can't even touch them tho'!

That's really bad :\ I don't think mine weigh them every time they have a vaccination, but they do pick them up (properly, might I add) and try to make them feel as relaxed as possible, give them a once-over with attention to the teeth and ears, asking questions like if they have been eating and pooing okay and if I've noticed any changes in their eating or pooing habits. This is followed by a random piece of reminder advice depending on the season i.e if it's spring or summer it's usually 'Keep an eye out for flies around the hutch' etc

They would never treat my bunnies like items on a supermarket till - beep once and you're done, please make way for the next customer etc :?

I would have asked to see a different vet and lodged a complaint with the practice over the way they have been handled.

its not that she couldnt, she didnt want to. because she touched them to pull their heads back to examine her teeth. she then told me pebbles had a spur on her back molar. now i know, to keep her eating lots of hay etc but she mayneed a dental one day, she NEVER said anything. just "she has a spur" no advice. no nothing.

she just didnt stroke them or anything. and maybe that sounds silly but ive never been to a vet where they dont at least stroke them after their jabs, she didnt even rub the back where they inject. I was so angry. She didnt ask me how they were, if everything was okay with them etc.

Poor pebbles is hiding in a mountain of hay. domino is okay he snot bothered but poor pebbles is still tremblign and normally shes fine once home. If she goes into stasis i will be fuming

I would definitely complain. People like that shouldn't be allowed to work in a small animal practice. Customer relations is just as important as the surgery side of the job.

Did she even vaccinate them correctly... as in part intradermally....

Stupid woman. The vets I used to use for vaccinations were ok until I saw a different vet. She didn't even bother to health check, just stuck the needle in and that was it. She didn't even vaccinate them correctly so I complained.

I hope you made a fuss in the reception telling other customers they will try to kill their animals ;););)
Seriously though, I'd utterly flip and order my money back, a free health check and future vouchers for that outragious examination.

I would definitely complain. People like that shouldn't be allowed to work in a small animal practice. Customer relations is just as important as the surgery side of the job.

Did she even vaccinate them correctly... as in part intradermally....

Stupid woman. The vets I used to use for vaccinations were ok until I saw a different vet. She didn't even bother to health check, just stuck the needle in and that was it. She didn't even vaccinate them correctly so I complained.

She did it all in the back of the neck.

I am writing my letter now. i would have kicked up more of a fuss but i was the only person in the surgery!! if there was people waiting i would have been very loud!

She did it all in the back of the neck.

I am writing my letter now. i would have kicked up more of a fuss but i was the only person in the surgery!! if there was people waiting i would have been very loud!

If she did all of it under the skin then as far as I understand it they are not fully protected for myxi.

I'd have been less than polite if one of the vets at my practice had done that,believe you me!

I'd be inclined to phone today and speak to a practice manager.

Sounds rubbish. :( I really hope the buns are OK.

Would you mind possibly PMing me the vets, so I can add them to my list of local ones to avoid? I'd be really grateful. x

What a horrible horrible vet. I am very shocked. Defo write a letter of complaint as that is completely unacceptable!

I would guess the vet has an allergy to rabbits.

IMO they shouldn't allow this vet to see rabbits if she can't even touch them tho'!

I agree with this...but I would make a complaint to the practice about this vet and her attitude.So,shes allergic,so she doesnt like bunnies but she was beyond unproffessional.

Hi
i would definately complain as her conduct and handling was unprofessional and potentially harmful. from her behaviour i would say she is scared of rabbits, which is fair enough, but means she either shouldnt be treating them or should have you and a nurse help.
Having said that, it would be much better and more constructive if you ring the practice and ask for a meeting with the vet and the manager together (take a parent for moral support!) and discuss it face to face. Letters get misconstrued and a written complaint is quite serious and formal, whereas a chat to explain your concerns will probably get a better response. i think its likely their boss doesnt know they are struggling with rabbits and might need more training
BTW, if yoy do want to make a formal complaint, you write to the RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons) not the RVC (Royal Vet College) they are two separate things!!

Last edited:
that is really awful, do complain. even if she had an allergy she could have put on gloves so she could have checked them over and explained to you that she has an allergy. was a bit nasty of her. :evil:

I would have wanted to speak to the manager there and then.
My vet never picks mine up because in his opinion it is better for me to hold them so they're more relaxed. He always checks their teeth and feet and due to previous *ahem* weight issues weighs them. I always take a treat for them too and ask him to give it to them......the first time he just looked at me like I was somewhat insane but now he thinks its funny!
Hope they both feel better soon...mush that been a really frightening experiance for the poor buns.

Back