• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is rust a problem for bunnies?

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Ive been given a dog crate to use for the bunnies.

Its a savic one but its been well loved..:lol:...its a bit rusty in places and Ive spent a lot of the afternoon cleaning it but cant remove rust from the more awkward places.

Would it be ok to use like that ....should I try painting with something like hammerite paint or should I not use it at all??? :?

So sorry I don't know. Hope you get an answer from someone who does soon. I thought it was about the "mould" that grows on some plants in wet weather!

Bumping this up for you :) I dont know either but i shouldnt think it would be a major problem unless theyre going to bite when the rust is :? xXx

I have an emergency one with rust.:oops: I sand-papered it down to make sure no sharp bits, but then I used it:oops:

Won't cause any problems but if you want to improve the look then as Angie says sandpaper and then paint. You need to remove the rust before painting though :) You can also get rust removed you paint on if you don't fancy the sanding :)

Not if you don't leave them out in the rain :lol:

:lol:

:| No? I'll get my coat....

haha....silly!!

Thanks for the replies....Ive already used sandpaper to get the rust off and ive bought a little tub of hammerite paint just to see if it will cover over and make it look better.

Its really only to use as a spare when buns are ill etc. so it should be ok.

I recommend water based paint (outdoor) rather than oil based paint. Oil based paint is stronger on the chemical due to the composition and in long term, in such a small crate, I would be concerned about cancer

If you use wire wool to get off as much of the rust as possible they paint it with paint designed for toddlers toys it should be ok :)

Back