• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild baby bunny in back garden - *PICS* Pg4, post 40! UPDATE, more pics post 60!

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Have a slight problem here :?

Yesterday the OH said to me there was a baby rabbit in the garden which kept sitting with Ronnie and Lola, i didnt think nothing of it until today when i saw it with my own eyes.

Im 99% sure its a wildie, he/she looks about 3-4 weeks old, if that, s/he would fit in the palm of my hand :? Wildie is sitting next to Ronnie and Lolas mesh on their run, and Ronnie is grooming wildie through the mesh :? I can get to about 1 metre away from it until it runs. i didnt think i would be able to get so close to a wildie?

It appears to be living under the shed?!? Now as you can imagine im flapping :( Could Ronnie and Lola catch anything from this bunny?? They are both up to date with their jabs... and baby bunny looks very healthy.

One worried bunny mummy!! xXx

Last edited:
I would be worried about disease as well. It would be my main concern.

I would also be worried about the baby bunny as well:oops::oops:

I would mostly be worried about Myxomatosis, not a good situation to have a wild rabbit in with your own.

But what can i do to get rid of him :( :? I have no idea! God knows why hes picked my house!! :roll: He must think Ronnie and Lola live in luxuary :? Ive not seen him near our other bunnies :?

May i add he appears to be 'flopping' next to the mesh :? He seems right at home.... :? Its mainly Ronnie hes after from what i can see...

I don't think the wild rabbit sitting that close is going to make that much difference risk wise. Myxi is spread mainly by biting insects. If you have wild rabbits living that close (where there is one there is bound to be more) then I would say they are at just as high risk as opposed to moving him 6' away on the other side of a fence.

I would vaccinated every 6 months (if you don't already) and otherwise enjoy the extra rabbit :)

Poor baby bunny wants a family!!! :(

I feel sorry for the poor thing.

Heres hoping it doesnt spread anything to yours though.

I don't think the wild rabbit sitting that close is going to make that much difference risk wise. Myxi is spread mainly by biting insects. If you have wild rabbits living that close (where there is one there is bound to be more) then I would say they are at just as high risk as opposed to moving him 6' away on the other side of a fence.

I would vaccinated every 6 months (if you don't already) and otherwise enjoy the extra rabbit :)

Thanks Tasmin, thats put my mind at ease. I already vaccinate every 6 months so thats ok. I shall try and get a pic later, hes a lovely little thing. The old dear next door said shes never seen a rabbit in her garden in all of the 22 years shes been there :?

I used to have a wildie come in the garden at my old house, it was only young and seemed to be living under the neighbours shed. She used to come in and run circles around my boys while they just sat and watched her! Any other rabbit they would have had a go at, but they didn't mind her being there :lol:

Thanks Tasmin, thats put my mind at ease. I already vaccinate every 6 months so thats ok. I shall try and get a pic later, hes a lovely little thing. The old dear next door said shes never seen a rabbit in her garden in all of the 22 years shes been there :?

It could have been picked up by a cat or large bird such as a seagull, and dropped in your garden.

Is it definitely wild and not a baby agouti coloured domestic bun?
I'd have though baby buns would be more wary than to flop out in the garden, sounds like he wants some bunny company :lol:

Is it definitely wild and not a baby agouti coloured domestic bun?
I'd have though baby buns would be more wary than to flop out in the garden, sounds like he wants some bunny company :lol:

Well.. its very strange :? Im worrying it could be a pet, but at 3/4 weeks old surely it would be very unlikely for a pet bunny to be roaming?? OH is convinced its a pet bunny, but i dont want to touch her just incase shes a wildie :( If shes still there tomorrow flopping next to Ronnie i may have to reconsider... i hope she hasnt come to stay forever :shock: :lol: xXx

Before Smokey was spayed we had the odd wild one come through.

They never caused any problems. Which is odd because Inky and Smokey are a bit territorial with other rabbits but the wild ones never seemed to upset them.

Awwww, poor little thing. It looks like it's picked Ronnie because he looks like a wild rabbit himself and somehow the baby wildie has got separated from it's family. It's probably all alone and feels safe with Ronnie. It probably lets you get so close because Ronnie is not spooked by you, but it's not habituated totally with humans like pet bunnies so darts away eventually.

Awwww, poor little thing. It looks like it's picked Ronnie because he looks like a wild rabbit himself and somehow the baby wildie has got separated from it's family. It's probably all alone and feels safe with Ronnie. It probably lets you get so close because Ronnie is not spooked by you, but it's not habituated totally with humans like pet bunnies so darts away eventually.

You know, i think your totally right :)

Ive just been down there to put Ronnie and Lola in their shed for the night, hopefully baby bunny will be ok under the shed tonight as i know foxes come into our garden :( Maybe his mummy has been caught by Mr. Fox :( xXx

bless he sounds happy enough. Have you spyed under your shed for tunnel etc? I would prob just keep eye out at mo and see how he gets on. If he looks under weight then I would begin to worry. Sounds like hes made friends with your 2 and tehy must have said your a nice bun mum.

Back