• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help-two rabbit injection given at same time

Davina&Linus

Young Bun
could someone please advice, my young teenage sister took her female house rabbit to get neutered last week when i came to visit she told me she also has the myxi and the vhs shot at same time straight after the op....i said this was not right as they need to be in minimum two weeks of each other plus really they tend not to do it straight after op as risk of infection... the rabbits hair is falling out on the back now and the skin look sore and apparently the rabbit is not pulling it out i dont know if this is anything to do with it but it has happened after the vet trip and its never happened before. she is taking her in because of this on Wednesday but i'm not sure she should go to that vet, in fact i think i should ring and complain but i dont know if this problem has happened because of the vet issue

I have no idea but this is just to get you back to the top......hope someone with experience will be along soon.Good luck.xx

this was not right as they need to be in minimum two weeks of each other plus really they tend not to do it straight after op
You are right. Please take the rabbit to be seen by a different vet, as the vet that performed the operation and administered BOTH vaccinations on the SAME day is clueless.

:oops: hate to say but ted had this done for her first time, i didn't really know at the time (nor did the vet it seems) but she was okay after it but certainly wouldn't advise it. hope the bun is okay.

I think the main reason for not getting jabs together or same time as op, is bun's immune system is compromised & jabs are ineffective. I would complain, & request repeat vacs for free when buns are recovered. Then find a bun savvy vet:D

As for hair loss - I've had that with a bun after a jab, so I wouldn't be overly worried unless there's a lot

I'd take him back to the same vet and cause a stink. After they have sorted it out change vet.
Vibes for your sister's bunny x x x

I'd take him back to the same vet and cause a stink. After they have sorted it out change vet.
Vibes for your sister's bunny x x x

Thanks all you been a great help and thanks for the complaint form, i rang today and they said it was find to do this i said it was bad practice then as i have had lots of advice and reliable pamphlets say otherwise, like the rspca, my own vet said he has never known a vet to give them both at the same time.
They gave her antibiotics and cream if the problem continues my sister is going straight to another vet but she is to put in a complaint anyway. I didn't know the jabs wouldn't work though i tell her that, i think i will advice her to get her money back and do the jabs else where.
Thanks again :love:

Hiya, as others have said, that is definitly not right. Muppet vet.

If you can get to Hoylake then I would highly recommend Rob McNulty, Market Street, Hoylake. He's a very rabbit savvy vet, in the past he's managed to work miracles on 2 EC buns and a 4 yr hamster who had a leg amputated! He's a very good vet with worried owners too, and doesn't believe in prolonging a life if he feels the animal is suffering, but he's very tactful.

Nice to see someone from The Wirral !!

The fur is probably coming out as a reaction to the VHD vaccine, if it was Cylap. The rabbit needs to go back to the vet for treatment and the vet needs to report the reaction to the manufacturers. This probably would have happened anyway and the rabbit should have the Lapinject VHD in future.

The vet should also be pointed in the direction of the datasheets for the vaccines which state they shoud not be given together or when the rabbit is immuno-compromised. I would demand an apology and any treatment the rabbit needs in relation to the side effects for free.

I've been thinking, we should have a free web website, unrelated to RU, that posted all these idiot vets' names. There has been far too many threads of vet making stupid decision, primitive error that shouldn't happen.

yikes! neutering & two vaccines on the same day? That vet should be struck off as his immune system will be taking an abolute hammering and they could quite possibly have killed him! Thankfully from the sound of it he seems to be pulling through ok except for the skin reaction but she needs to make a complaint to the vet, complain to the authorities and get herself a new rabbit savey vet!

I think the main reason for not getting jabs together or same time as op, is bun's immune system is compromised & jabs are ineffective. I would complain, & request repeat vacs for free when buns are recovered. Then find a bun savvy vet:D

As for hair loss - I've had that with a bun after a jab, so I wouldn't be overly worried unless there's a lot

i agree with the complaining and taking to another vet. the cream etc should also be free as the reaction was the fault of the vet

just to clarify, if you vaccinate an immunocompromised animal (ie one that is stressed by an operation) the vaccinations are necessarily ineffective, its just that the immune system has a lot to deal with at once so may or may not mount an appropriate response to the vaccine. i wouldnt get the rabbit vaccinated again for a little while as this is likely to aggrevate this effect, although i know its high myxi risk season etc. Check with the new vet about doing them again, or possibly getting antibody titres done to check if the vax did produce a good response.

Over a year ago I took my frenchie for his booster and asked about neutering. They injected him and then said we can neuter him today for you. I asked if that was ok after the jab and they said yes. After his neutering he had an infection in his wound and had baytril which cleared it up quickly. Then after another month or so he caught myxi. Luckily he survived it and is now very happy and healthy. But I would definitely not have a booster done again in that situation.

thanks for all your advice, its been really helpful i know some vets are stronger with small animals than others but i do find it hard to believe that there are pamphlets and info on the issue for the public and the vet doesnt think theres anything wrong. Poor little girl had to go in everyday to get given treatment plus she had to had the wound from the infection stitched when it was ok to do it, she does seem on the mend. Even though no apology there has been no charge he must be excepting he done something wrong plus he may not say it to my sister but now he be a total fool if he did it to another rabbit,:? that is what worries me.

could someone please advice, my young teenage sister took her female house rabbit to get neutered last week when i came to visit she told me she also has the myxi and the vhs shot at same time straight after the op....i said this was not right as they need to be in minimum two weeks of each other plus really they tend not to do it straight after op as risk of infection... the rabbits hair is falling out on the back now and the skin look sore and apparently the rabbit is not pulling it out i dont know if this is anything to do with it but it has happened after the vet trip and its never happened before. she is taking her in because of this on Wednesday but i'm not sure she should go to that vet, in fact i think i should ring and complain but i dont know if this problem has happened because of the vet issue
Was it definatly these jabs & not perhaps pain relief?

Back