• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

May have a Ferret Problem

mzacchia

New Kit
Need some advice with a unusual problem that could be disasterous for our rabbit! Really didn't know very much about ferrets until recently when i learned that 2 houses down from us is now a small Ferret sancturary which seems to have grown recently (now Lots and lots of them). It's all in a good cause which i don't have a problem with at all.

The next door neighbour mentioned they has been instances where one had gone missing previously and as the distance between the fenced gardens is only about 50 feet i am now concerned they may come in our direction as i have been told they can probably smell each other and would explain some bizarre behaviour with the rabbit from time to time. We usually let the rabbit have freedom of our garden and is mostly supervised by either ourselves or our neighbour although since it's had all this freedom i am relucant to take this away. Any idea how we can minimise the risks or are we just being paranoid?

Last edited:
Have you spoken to the ferret owners? Might be worth a friendly chat. You'd need to approach it carefully but just say you'd heard they'd had escapes before and were a bit worried about the safety of your rabbits. Find out if that's actually true... it might be they've had one escape and the rumour mill has got going. Ask if they do have one get out if they could let you know so you can be careful when exercising your rabbit.

Hmm.Ferrets,eh??
You dont say what sort of area you live in.Yes, a ferret may smell your bunnies and may head for your house but he may also head away from your house,in another direction.Ferrets travel miles....
Its 50/50 I will have to say.Look for the ferrets scats (pooh)....its about an inch long,thin and may be curled up.There may be scratch marks in the wood of your hutches.
Trying not to alarm you,with a bit of luck, the ferret may be fat and well fed, and its not just rabbits they have a penchant for...birds and their eggs,worms,snails,frogs, that sort of thing.Kestrels and foxes are a ferrets predator though with a fox or a cat it can vary so the ferret isnt invincible!
Fingers crossed for you Hun.Just be a bit more aware and maybe let the ferret rescue house know you have bunnies.They will be more diligent aswell,.Just a thought,the ferret may linger in his own garden too,I know from experience as I have kept ferrets for 20 yrs.Mine do but in 3 yrs Ive had one escapee!!! She came home!! (after 6 days....):wave:

NB....if a ferret is lost and sees a human, he is more likely to be relieved as a human means care,ie food,water etc.

Last edited:
Try to secure your garden as best you can. I wouldn't let any rabbits out unsupervised, so try and give them secure runs as large as possible if you are worried about their space.

Back