• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping rabbits cool?

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
How does everyone keep there bunnys cool? Ive filled some empty coke bottles with water and freezed them and wrapped them in a towel and put an umbrella up. Anymore ideas?

Shade and plenty of water for them to drink (I prefer bowls, they can have good slurp). I also use frozen bottles wrapped in a towel but mine tend to ignore them.

If it's really hot (over 25 degrees), I sponge a bit of cool water on their ears, they seem to love it.

You could get some battery operated hutch/cage fans like i have for my buns. I only use them when i'm around though as i did hear of a fan burning out and catching the hutch on fire but the fan had been left on all day and was unsupervised. My buns think their great and will sit in front of it all the time it's on.:D

I tried bottles of frozen water but my buns ignored them. I do find they like to have a ceramic tile to lie on which keeps them cool.

I gave them either complete shade, or more shade than there is direct sunlight. Left a cold bowl in their area for them to lie against if they wish and a bowl of cool water, checked often that it hasn't heated up.

i also use tiles..and large empty pop bottles filled with cold water wraped over with an old sock! ive tryed freezing them but they dont like them.

White sheets draped over hutches & runs - helps reflect the heat well :) Also hosing down the patio area with cold water regularly :)

Phoebe is so grumpy of it being so hot all day :( The shed's windows dont open so it gets pretty stuffy in there 2 - even with the shed door wide open all day. The weather is going to be the same 2 morro so im setting my alarm for 6:30 so i can get up and open the shed before it gets to hot in the morning!
Do the ice pods from P@H work? I was thinking about buying some? :oops: Im cautious with the sun anyway with being a red head :oops:
Ive made little hide outs in the run with damp towels over also to keep them cool too.

While there in it, or like at night? I jet wash the patio area in the run on a daily basis anyway

While they're in them :) We haven't got hutches & runs now, as they're inside an aviary & playhouse - but last summer when we had hutches & runs, I fastened down the back of the hutches & then pulled them up over the top of the hutches & draped them out over the runs to give them shade & cool it down for them :)

I have an old (big) square of carpet over the run so the shade moves leaving them with sun and shade for their picking.

Also big plant pots in the garden (with stuff they dont eat in them!) and in their run they have a litter tray of peat/compost which is kept dry and in the shade which they love to dig and wriggle in.

Sasha likes getting under the watercan (fine sprinkler) whilst I'm watering my plants.

In the garden I've found they sit on top and sprawl out on top of the breezeblocks.

just wondering if there is anything else I can do to make sure charlie doesn't get too hot. Its meant to be boiling today. He is in his run, with a white sheet over the top to make sure he is totally shaded. Has fresh water in his bottle which i keep topping up. Anything else i can do???

B XX

Back