• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lapizole or panacur

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I was just wondering which is the most effective, Lapizole or Panacur.
Any advice would be great, thankyou :D

They both contain the same active ingredient, but I find panacur liquid easier to give to the bunny via syringe, other people find the paste easier, its just personal preference really :)

Not sure which one is most effective but I have found the Panacure paste in the syringe much easier to administer than the Lapizole which comes in a pump bottle. My rabbits hated having the liquid pumped into their mouths and I found it too messy to try and put it in a syringe first.

Not sure which one is most effective but I have found the Panacure paste in the syringe much easier to administer than the Lapizole which comes in a pump bottle. My rabbits hated having the liquid pumped into their mouths and I found it too messy to try and put it in a syringe first.

The lapizole now comes in a liquid instead, with a syringe that fits on the top of the bottle :)

Thanks for the replies. Ive ordered some of the paste as I think I will find it easier to give to Flopsy as she doesn't like things syringed into her mouth. I've had to put her metacam on a piece of carrot then she licks it off!! She has taking to biting me if im doing something to her she doesn't like!!

But the trouble with Lapizole is the volume of liquid needed compared to either the Panacur paste or the Panacur liquid. For example, my 3.5kg bun needed 7 'pumps' of Lapizole liquid opposed to 0.7ml of Panacur liquid (10% dog/cat strength). I can't remember exactly how much 7 pumps of Lapizole amounted to but it was a LOT!

But the trouble with Lapizole is the volume of liquid needed compared to either the Panacur paste or the Panacur liquid. For example, my 3.5kg bun needed 7 'pumps' of Lapizole liquid opposed to 0.7ml of Panacur liquid (10% dog/cat strength). I can't remember exactly how much 7 pumps of Lapizole amounted to but it was a LOT!

I agree with this. My biggest bun would need 4ml a day! Even if she loves the taste this is alot to expect her to eat, daily for 28 days. The rep suggested puting it on food but giving an already overweight rabbit enough food to hold 4ml of lapizole, daily for 28 days didn't sound like a very good idea...

I agree with this. My biggest bun would need 4ml a day! Even if she loves the taste this is alot to expect her to eat, daily for 28 days. The rep suggested puting it on food but giving an already overweight rabbit enough food to hold 4ml of lapizole, daily for 28 days didn't sound like a very good idea...

I agree with this too, it wasn't just the pump action of the bottle that my rabbits didn't like it was the amount of times you had to pump it. Neither of them seemed to like the taste of it either, although its supposed to be aniseed flavoured which they are meant to like!:( You would need to give your bun quite a lot of food to get rid of 4ml, not a good idea if they are on a diet!

If they have changed it to a liquid(I though it was before?) now and put a syringe on top of bottle instead of pump have they changed the concentration so you don't have to give as much that would be better?

Back