• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Dilemma - help needed please!

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone,

I could use some advice regarding rebonding my bunnies. As you may know my boys had a fight that led to an injury, well rebonding has been going well. In a small pen they have been grooming, laying together and looking really happy. It's when I put them back in their room that the fights break out :( Lots of fur pulling, chasing, then out n out scapping. I had to take one of them out last night and I noticed Wilm had blood on his hock :(

Could it be I've not cleaned thoroughly enough? Should I move things around? Move them? The only reason I'm keeping hope is they were fine in the first bonding stage and for most of the time back in their own hutch. Not sure what to do :(

they need to be in their bonding pen at least 2-3 days, a week if possible, to cement the bond.

Clean their room, and spray everything with white vinegar/ water solution, toys hutch/cage etc, remove treats previously there, wash blankets. re-arrange it, move the hutch to the other side of the room.

If they are still fighting you may want to try dabbing a bit of something strong smelling on their noses just before the go in.

ETA: you could try moving some of the bedding used in the bonding process into the room, so there is a mixed smell of them both.

In a small pen they have been grooming, laying together and looking really happy. How long have you been bonding them in the one place.?

It's when I put them back in their room that the fights break out :( Lots of fur pulling, chasing, then out n out scapping. Rabbits require a totally neutral area. What is the floor surface made from? What did you clean the room with? If you have cleaned the room you may have missed something inlcuding skirting boards. Have you soaked the litter trays in vinegar as these usually smell strongly of rabbit? Are there any toys, bedding which has not been cleaned?

How long ago did you start bonding? - Personally I find moving rabbits within the first 48 hours can result in fighting as they need a slow transition.

What size is the area you have put them in? I always bond in a space about 4.5 foot x 2 foot, when you move them at least 48 hours after bonding do not put them in a large space as they frequently will fight as they need to sort out their dominance again. Put them in a space no bigger tha 6 x 2 foot and then over the following weeks increase their space. You need to do things slowly.

Personally I would set the bonding pen up again in the room where they will be living as long as you have thoroughly cleaned it. Leave them in it until you have had no fights for 48 hours, then increase their space very slowly by about 2 - 4 square feet every 48 hours and don't move them anywhere else. If you go slowly you should get there. This is particuarly important as you have boys and boys are more tempremental to changes.

With the bondings I do, the ones who end up ringing me to ask for help them when fighting has broken out are usually the ones who have either given their rabbits free range or have increased their space too quickly.

ETA: you could try moving some of the bedding used in the bonding process into the room, so there is a mixed smell of them both.

Plesae ensure that every thing is clean and fresh when setting out their new area. Particuarly with boy pairs I would not put anything into their new area which smells of any or all of the buns.

They we in a 3 x 3 bonding pen for 2 days. I am going to put them back in there and reclean everything. I don't think I have cleaned thoroughly enough and I've given them too much space like you said.

I've had no real problems bonding before and I think I've presumed too early that they would be ok as they were fine before.

Thanks. When I first bonded these three it was really easy, no problems at all, then Spring came and all hell broke loose!

Hello
I had terrible problems with my 2 boys and Janices' advice helped a great deal.
They are now very settled.

Good Luck.
It is worth taking your time!:):)

Back