• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

omg my bun has made a nest

tracy08

Warren Scout
She had babies 14 weeks ago friday gone, and two weeks ago i took the boy out and left ehr with a girl. Now today i went to puther back in ehr hutch after being in the run and noticed a nest again. omg i hope its phantom. I will have to keep an eye on her. I know we have males here but they have not been together apart from with her son . could she get pg with a 12 week old son?

She had babies 14 weeks ago friday gone, and two weeks ago i took the boy out and left ehr with a girl. Now today i went to puther back in ehr hutch after being in the run and noticed a nest again. omg i hope its phantom. I will have to keep an eye on her. I know we have males here but they have not been together apart from with her son . could she get pg with a 12 week old son?

I'd say so yes. If she isnt spayed and he isnt neutured I'd think it was possible? Also, If she had babies 14 weeks ago and you only took the boy out 2 weeks ago I'd say its highly possible shes pregnant again. :?

I'd wait until someone who knows more comes along but it does seem that way. I'd keep her well out of the way of the fellas from now on, and think about getting them all neutured to prevent any unwanted kits..

It is possible yes - he could have got her pregnant from approx 10 weeks of age and she is capable of getting pregnant again 30 minutes after giving birth.

oh noooooooooooooo
I thought they were all girls as when we had them checked i was told they were, but then we saw him in the run doing 'it' so i took him out. (so much for the advice on them being girls then hey)

She doesnt look or act like she did when she was last pg. But i suppose every pg is different.Please keep fingers crossed shes not as i have just taken in another rescued rabbit. i have tried to be so carefull this time

Most animals can get pregnant again within hours of giving birth, if the male was only taken out 2 weeks ago (so 12 weeks after the birth) then I'd say its amazing she's JUST making a nest again.
The male babies should also be split from the females at about 12 weeks, I think.

no no no the male i took out was her son, oh my god no the daddy was taken out and neutered 13 weeks ago and they havnt been back together at all, im too scared to bond. Sorry sounds like you think i left the dad in.

no no no the male i took out was her son, oh my god no the daddy was taken out and neutered 13 weeks ago and they havnt been back together at all, im too scared to bond. Sorry sounds like you think i left the dad in.

Sorry I thought that's what you meant.
How old was the male when you took him out of the mothers cage?

i just calculated again and he was 12 weeks old when i took him out. But i was told they were all girls until i caught him 'trying' his sisters out for size. I took him out 2 weeks ago, as they are now 14 weeks old friday gone.
I have just been out to make sure they are all locked up and had a nose at the 'nest' there is fur in it just to add. And its now been built up higher.
I will also add though that i do have two males that arent neutered near her, and i have read that they can smell it and get ready sort of thing.

At 12 weeks old there is a chance that he could have been fertile, hopefully for yours and the female rabbits sake this is going to be just a phantom pregnancy.

I would get this boy and any other boys you have neutered as soon as their testicles drop and also discuss with the vets about getting the female (mother) neutered in another week if she has not produced.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the doe gave birth 14 weeks ago are you sayin the dad was taken out 13 weeks ago and the son 12 weeks ago, so at one point all 3 were together after she had given birth? There is a one week gap between her giving birth and the dad getting neutered and being taken out, so he could well have got her pregnant again as well as the son being a likely candidate:(

I hate to add this in too, but you could also be in trouble with the sisters as we have had a female in that got pregnant at 12 weeks of age :shock:

no the son was taken out at 12 weeks old, and the dad was neutered 16weeks ago, (got dates wrong for dad)
Dad hasnt been with mum since she had babies. he was taken right out/ (bit of a mad story)
But she was with her now son up until 2 weeks ago.

just figured out why shes built a nest with her fur as she didnt have enough straw as she used it all. So gave her more and shes carried on. Last time she did this she built her nest 2 weeks before she had her babies. I really hope its just a season thing. Her daughter has helped too with a big of fur.

i just calculated again and he was 12 weeks old when i took him out. But i was told they were all girls until i caught him 'trying' his sisters out for size. I took him out 2 weeks ago, as they are now 14 weeks old friday gone.
I have just been out to make sure they are all locked up and had a nose at the 'nest' there is fur in it just to add. And its now been built up higher.
I will also add though that i do have two males that arent neutered near her, and i have read that they can smell it and get ready sort of thing.

Girls hump too - that's not an accurate way of sexing

Girls hump too - that's not an accurate way of sexing

This is very very true! Why not take all of the babies and buns to a good rabbit savvy vet for sexing not a breeder, this way you can be sure that none of these mishaps happen again. Then get them all neutered!

yeah i noticed the girls doing it, that was a bit mad to see lol.
I double checked the one that i saw, and even though i was told they were girls i noticed he was soooo different to the other two babies. i will admit though i did check when they were little and its true what you say about they look so alike. I had them sexed by some one who said they knew about rabbits lol yeah right even i saw the difference when i double checked. :roll:

Im going to get in touch with our vets and get them in for a check up and go from there. thanks for help. im trying to think of how she was last time. And i dont know if im looking into things but again shes gone funny.
Hope im looking into things and she isnt.
I do have 7 rabbits now, i did have 9 last week, that i rehomed. Lucky enough i have a big back garden for more if needed as we have just moved 4 weeks ago. But still this is one thing i need the last with my husband being soooo ill. (you wouldnt beleive me if i told you )

Fingers crossed for it just being a hormanal thing.

Im going to get in touch with our vets and get them in for a check up and go from there. thanks for help.

Yeah, I'd do that sooner rather than later:D. i've visited houses with 30 plus buns where someone has mis-sexed/kept buns together a week longer than they should/not stopped their kids from leting buns "play" together. It can get very serious, very fast. They are on RR all the time too:cry:

Have a look at the tread "sexing buns" it has some great informative pictures.

But do get a vet to confirm the sexes.

Back