• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recommend a breed!

Jake14

Young Bun
My cage will hopefully be 4ft long, not sure on width and maybe two floors. Will be a house rabbit, and needs to be friendly, and cute. And easy for grooming as this will be my first bun bun.:wave:

My cage will hopefully be 4ft long, not sure on width and maybe two floors. Will be a house rabbit, and needs to be friendly, and cute. And easy for grooming as this will be my first bun bun.:wave:

Hi :wave:

Will your bun have access to a run or similar for at least 8 hours a day?

Also, bunnies really enjoy the company of another bun so have you tought about having a pair? There are many pairs in rescues all over the country looking for homes.

In terms of which would be a good breed, it really does depend on the individual rabbit to be honest, not it's breed.

I'd recommend dutches as they are a fairly healthy bun compared to the other breeds. Or why not choose a complete mix (more healthy than a purebreed anyway)?

From your post I assume that you are looking for us to recommend a rabbit whose breed is friendly and cute to be your first rabbit to live indoors in a 4 foot cage.

Rabbits characteristics are more about that individual rabbit than a breed, when rabbits reach puberty their characters often change, not always for the better which is one of the reasons why it is essential to get a rabbit neutered as soon as they reach sexual maturity.

All rabbits are cute ;)

There is no particular rabbit breed which is best for living indoors, again each rabbit is different, some are more liable to chew than others which is why it is essential to ensure that your house is rabbit proofed.

You also are looking for a breed of rabbit that can live in a 4 foot cage :? this is more tricky as rabbits need enough space to be able to stretch out and upwards and also run about. Sadly 4 foot cages are really not big enough for any rabbit unless they have a run attatched. You dont mention if you are attatching a run and how much exercise they will get out of their cage.

hello! i would also recomend a dutch they are so loverly and there temprement is fantastic i have two and so far no health problems either,,

Crossbreeds :)
Be warned though, they have so much energy! Need plenty of space to run about :) I never realised how mental they could be till I got some!

Crossbreeds :)
Be warned though, they have so much energy! Need plenty of space to run about :) I never realised how mental they could be till I got some!
They would only be in the cage at night, or if i need to go out, and then the garden on nice days. Plenty of room, if i use NIC the cage would be even bigger, just sort of making a 'average' size. I was more thinking about the sizes of rabbits, any bigger, or smaller, or medium by any chance:lol:?, short or long fur?. And im looking at adopting, and hopefully a pair, yes:)

They would only be in the cage at night, or if i need to go out, and then the garden on nice days. Plenty of room, if i use NIC the cage would be even bigger, just sort of making a 'average' size. I was more thinking about the sizes of rabbits, any bigger, or smaller, or medium by any chance:lol:?, short or long fur?. And im looking at adopting, and hopefully a pair, yes:)

That's great...well done for doing your research. NIC cubes are great as you can make the 'cage' fit into almost any part of your house.

I would definately recommend 'rabbit proofing' your house though (bunnies like wires! :lol:)

I'd say buy a few packs of NIC cubes and just fill all the space you can for them :D They'll still love to come out in a bunny proof room though (I'd do that first, save you some money if you don't have to repair and replace everything!)
Short fur is a lottt easier. Still good to groom them, but it's not as difficult :lol:

I'd say buy a few packs of NIC cubes and just fill all the space you can for them :D They'll still love to come out in a bunny proof room though (I'd do that first, save you some money if you don't have to repair and replace everything!)
Short fur is a lottt easier. Still good to groom them, but it's not as difficult :lol:

thats cool. My room is really 'proof' anyway, my larger lizards have the odd roam, so I need wires out of the way incase they tangle themselves, all holes covered:D

thats cool. My room is really 'proof' anyway, my larger lizards have the odd roam, so I need wires out of the way incase they tangle themselves, all holes covered:D

That's good :D Watch out for carpet/wooden doors/ bedcovers/ sheets/ cusions/ games controlers/ mobile phones/ clothes.... Trust me they'll eat it :roll:
There's lots of breeds :) It might be a good idea to not plan what you want, and just look through rescues until you see the pair that you fall in love with :love:

That's good :D Watch out for carpet/wooden doors/ bedcovers/ sheets/ cusions/ games controlers/ mobile phones/ clothes.... Trust me they'll eat it :roll:
There's lots of breeds :) It might be a good idea to not plan what you want, and just look through rescues until you see the pair that you fall in love with :love:

Aww ok. I just want to be prepared for that perticular breeds needs. But I can learn about them all so im ready for anything!. And my room is fine, they can eat all they want, they can even finish of the guinea pigs i had handywork:roll:

Aww ok. I just want to be prepared for that perticular breeds needs. But I can learn about them all so im ready for anything!. And my room is fine, they can eat all they want, they can even finish of the guinea pigs i had handywork:roll:

I think the biggest differences is long haired rabbits need more grooming, and larger rabbits need more space. Also rescues can give you the information if they need any special care :) Most other things you can learn on here, the forums brlliant :) Been dead helpful for me

Back