• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daft rabbits and diet

munrojock

Young Bun
Hi All,

A question about my kids/mostly my rabbits. The relatively recent replacement for one of the bunnies appears to have a taste for bread which she willingly fights the magpies for. Is bread bad for rabbits, as I seem to be reading that they have sensitive GI tracts. Just wondering as I'll stop putting out bread if it is.

Then I can start working out why the other rabbit attacks any cats coming into the garden!

Many thanks in advance,

Harris

I think the odd nibble would be fine, it's not toxic, but it's not very healthy either so I wouldn't let them eat lots of it.

Tim,

Yeh, I think you're right. I did a search after posting and noticed a previous thread on the subject. Usual yes and no's but the general consensus seemed to be yes but no lots and not white bread.

Thanks for that and now to stop the boy rabbit from trying to bite cats which stray onto his 'turf'! :p

Harris

Is your rabbit neutered? Rabbits can be quite territorial and it is a amazing how aggressive they can be to invaders. Those cute little faces can hide little terrors. Neutering reduces the hormones which in turn reduces territorial behaviour. It's not a 100% guarantee but it usually helps hormone related issues.

Tamsin,

Yeh, he's had the 'snip'. In fact, his late brother who got the snip first and then ripped his brothers bits half off so the Vet's job was made easier. I think Snowie is doing the territorial thing AND he's now got a woman/Doe to show off his prowess to as well, not that she's interested in him.

Thanks,

Harris

There is probably not much you'll be able to do to stop him then. It will just be a case of trying to arrange it so the two can't meet. Try to deter the cats from coming into the garden if you can.

I know Tamsin, he'll just have to learn when one of the older cats gives him a playful swipe. Not going to stop anyone coming into the garden, more important I stop the rabbits from escaping as they're in serious digging mode just now so just keeping a healthy supply of bricks to stop their burrowing antics.

Hmmm, suppose I could use the bricks on the cats............. <---Kidding, honest.

Harris

Back