• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ants!

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
How do I get rid of ants? I have the patio area ready for the aviary but it is covered in weeds at the mo. Everytime I pull up something - thousands of ants run all over the place!!! I wanted the avairy to sit in with the buns but if I can't get rid of the ants I'll have to rethink! :cry: Think the whole thing must be on an anthill! There are literally hundreds/thousands.

My compost bin has been taken over by ants :shock: I lifted the lid and could see all their little grubs and hundreds of ants!
I don't know how to get rid of them without using nasty chemicals.

Try dusting food-grade diatomaceous earth along the ant’s pathways. The white powder will cut through their exoskeleton and they will dehydrate and die:D

Sprinkle a combination of bicarbonate of soda and black pepper wherever they gather. They can't stand it and will soon vanish. Sage sprinkled in cupboards is also an effective deterrent. Bone-meal sprinkled around the outside walls of the house and throughout the garden will drive ants away.

Dissolve 3 tablespoons of sugar in I cup (250 ml) of warm water, allow to cool, then stir in I tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda. Store the mixture in a bottle in the refrigerator until needed.

Put bottle capfuls on ant nests and trails - anywhere ants gather, including the inside of the house - and cover if wet. This type of bait works on insect's body heat. As they feed on it the body warmth makes them explode. This bait is particularly suitable for indoor use. Mix 2 cups (500 g) of sugar and 2 tablespoons of borax together then dissolve the mixture in I cup (250 ml) of water. Pour into glass jars loosely filled with cotton-wool. Punch holes in the lid and locate wherever you find ants.

If you feel that you must destroy the nest, try pouring boiling water, mixed with a little detergent, down it. Repeat this every few days until the nest is evacuated.

I use a brand name called Ant Hill. I have to find the nest, which is not difficult, and pour the powder on the surface of the nest. As the ants carries the powder, it goes to their queen and kill her. It's very effective, although there are many brand names

Back