• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Recommended on a Rabbit Breeding Website

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I am researching Breeding (dont ask :roll:) and on one site they are recommending this

hideoushutch.jpg

:shock:

:censored:

I never quite got why some of these hutches are so tall:shock:
Rabbits don't climb walls, they need floor-space! :cry:
Besides wire-floors+babies=even worse than wire floors for adults.
My school had some very sucky hutches with thick wires on the floor and some babies fell through and suffocated:cry: Others would later have problems walking so we had to cover the hutch floor whenever the bunnies came out of the nest box.

Also I've noticed from work: Wire floors are not easier to clean. The poops frequently get stuck, making it actually harder to keep clean than wooden boards. :roll:

It looks like a 2x2 to me. The person I know of who breeds keeps theirs in
3 x 2 and the RSPCA say it is not a problem as he actually offers larger than required breeding accomodation - ok but how about when he has 9 poor rabbits in one hutch!!!!:censored::censored:

I have never understood why minimum hutch requirements for breeding rabbits should be any different to those of non breeding rabbits.

I have never understood why minimum hutch requirements for breeding rabbits should be any different to those of non breeding rabbits.

If anything the req's for breeding rabbits should be higher considering (the bad breeders) are forcing the rabbits to pop out babies like a machine :shock:
And the fact that the babies stay with them so it's going to be a larger group :shock:

I thought so, those types of cages seem very popular over there :( I guess in really hot climates they think it is a good way to keep them clean and cool :? Doesn't excuse the size though

:evil::censored::evil:

That is terrible! Why, why, why are breeders allowed so much smaller hutches! It makes me feel like :cry: when I think of one bun being in one of those let alone a whole family.

So glad I got to Mopsy before she went to the breeder. I know there are good, responsible breeders out there but this woman is definately not one of them.

There is no exception in the Animal Welfare Act for breeders, so the requirements in the UK are the same. The only problem is the Animal Welfare Act does not define a minimum and the size at which the RSPCA are willing to bring a private prosecution is a lot smaller than a lot of us would like. The RSPCA tend to be more concerned with whether the animals are kept clean and healthy, which I can understand as they do have plenty of work to do already just enforcing this :?

I wish I could say I was surprised...unfortunately, in the US those types of cages are widely popular for breeding and pets. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a solid bottom hutch. All wire, all small. And I was working in a large chain pet store. I would recommend people babygate a bunny safe room or buy puppy pens and set their bunnies up indoors.(Our store didn't sell rabbits, but there were plenty dropped off to be adopted out) It really breaks my heart to think of the poor bunnies having to sit on wire their entire lives. :cry::cry::cry:

Breeding in general, or specifics, eg. genetics? I have some contacts, if you're interested,but it might mean 'visiting' places you'd prefer not to?

I never quite got why some of these hutches are so tall:shock:
Rabbits don't climb walls, they need floor-space! :cry:
Besides wire-floors+babies=even worse than wire floors for adults.
My school had some very sucky hutches with thick wires on the floor and some babies fell through and suffocated:cry: Others would later have problems walking so we had to cover the hutch floor whenever the bunnies came out of the nest box.

Also I've noticed from work: Wire floors are not easier to clean. The poops frequently get stuck, making it actually harder to keep clean than wooden boards. :roll:

I think it's important for buns to be able to stand tall - one bun I got kind of crawled along cos he was confined to a too-low hutch for about 6 months without getting out at all:cry: But yeah, the wire floors are horrific:cry:

Back