• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breding

aimclo1234

New Kit
i have a male rabbit called fluffy. i reived him in febuary. i will be getting a female rabbit in august, she has the same mother.they are both pergree lionhead rabbits. can i breed then and how old they they have to be to breed. i have never done thins before so any tips will be grand. thanks :D

i join this forum for advice, i did think that people would be nice and help out, yes you have given me helpful information. but i didnt think people would be tellin me not to bread because i cant spell. yes i have dyslexia but i did not think it would matter to this type of thing. thanks,to the people who have given me useful information. :)

Last edited:
:shock: do a forum search there are loads on threads on this.. you shouldnt breed if they are from the same parents or you dont know the back ground that they came from :)

Most of us on the forum are against any type of breeding as there are so many unwanted rabbits in rescues already. But definately do not breed from bunnies with the same parents. To breed bunnies succesfully you need to have an indepth knowledge of genetics and if you are asking basic questions then my guess is you are not ready to start breeding.

My advice is to get them both neutered and put them together for company and just enjoy having 2 wonderful pets :)

i have a male rabbit called fluffy. i reived him in febuary. i will be getting a female rabbit in august, she has the same mother. can i breed then and how old they they have to be to breed. i have never done thins before so any tips will be grand. thanks :D

So the rabbits are brother and sister? Don't breed them is my advice.

Why have you edited the post from the same parents to just the same mother?

Either way my earlier advice is the same:)

becuase i have just recived an email from the breeder, and it saidit was a different doe
[
QUOTE=Hugo's There;3141584]Why have you edited the post from the same parents to just the same mother?[/QUOTE]

becuase i have just recived an email from the breeder, and it saidit was a different doe
[
QUOTE=Hugo's There;3141584]Why have you edited the post from the same parents to just the same mother?
[/QUOTE]

I'm confused now:? So are they related to each other? Same mother or same father?

the breeder has used the same mother but a different father. i have just this minute found this out. i dont know if this makes any difference :?

I'm confused now:? So are they related to each other? Same mother or same father?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
is wind up thread yez? If not and you are serious let me put it like this.

Do you have a brother? Would you sleep with him and have his babies? If the answer to that is no then I suggest you apply the same logic to the poor old bunnies. If you really want to have a go at breeding go to shows, talk to lots of breeders, STUDY genetics, get every book going about how to care for rabbits. Only then think about doing it and make sure you have a home for each litter before you start breeding otherwise you will end up in a big mess like the countless out of control back yard breeders that we and other rescues visit each month where things are out of control and they cannot cope any more.

I'd recommend reading up a lot on breeding before even considering it.
If you don't know how old the rabbits should be or how often, its better to just keep them as pets, and don't breed unless you know just how to care for the female during pregnancy and the kits during nursing.
But for the record the female should be 6 months, preferably 8 before her first litter, not older than 1-1.5 and in good shape (overweight rabbits shouldn't be bred from. Also don't overfeed them during pregnancy, in fact you don't need to feed much more than normal at all, though its recommended to change to a more nutritious food brand. Some companies have special food for baby bunnies, this is also recommended for pregnant and nursing does.)
The babies should be at least 8 weeks old before rehoming, and separated by sex before they are 10 weeks old to prevent inbreeding. (Also rabbits do not care if they are too young to breed. Letting a 3-4 month old doe get pregnant is like letting an 11 year old human have a child).

Not to mention rehoming. Dwarf rabbits like lionheads get an average of 5-6 babies per litter, but larger litters aren't impossible.
Can you find homes for all these? Keep in mind that even people who say they will buy from you before the kits are born may change their minds before they are of weaning age.
IF this happens, do you have room for housing them?
First of they need to be separated by sex, also if left unneutered the males are unlikely to get along past 4 months or so. The females may also fight as they get older.

I've had two litters of bunnies, the first time I got 12 kits... 8 of which died of undernourishment within 2 weeks because the mother couldn't handle that many:cry: But you'd think the last 4 would be easy to rehome right?
Wrong. I sold two, who were already reserved, and planned to keep one. The last one stayed with me till he was 7 months old! If the others had lived I would have been stuck with 9 "unwanted" rabbits. But I kept him alright, and was determined to keep him for the rest of his life if no one else would have him.
Now I have 6 kits, still not of weaning age.
They're charming alright but they eat a lot and I still only have 2 reservations and one "maybe" so it still remains to be seen how many I'll have once they can be delivered.

I think like what some people have pointed out - its really not a good idea to breed them. If you are asking a question like that - it shows you dont know the first thing about "responsible" breeding. You need to do a lot of research into rabbits first before you even consider bringing more into the world - if thats what you have your mind set on and wont change.
There are a few breeders on here that might be able to give you some advice - or perhaps adopt a baby rabbit from a rescue or rabbit rehome instead?
You need to think of a lot of things - cost - vaccinations, food , possible vet care etc that you will have to foot the bill for. Also homes - where are the babies going to go? Please do not consider this lightly as it is a huge decision which could affect lots of innocent bunny lives. Ihope this helps you a little.

I also think putting down someones spelling isnt really fair - this is more likely to make a person defensive and not listen to any advice given and go do the opposite. Also some people have spelling problems like dyslexia etc so its not really fair.

I would say no to breeding, as there are more things to consider other than when will they be ok to mate. Housing, financial, what you will do with the babies ect.

Rather than breeding, I would get your rabbit neautered, and then get a friend for him. Both bunnies will be so much happier this way :D

Also...would you be 100% prepared to give up any social activites if the babies had problems?
Any problems with the mother and you could end up with orphans. They may need to be hand reared, or have health problems that need a lot of attention and money spent on them.

And if you're expecting to make a profit off the babies, it doesn't always work that way (not that I agree with breeding animals for a profit) when you think of the extra food/hay and the fact that you will need to buy more large accomidation to split the sexes, the parents and possibly seperate any who have decided to fight (which can happen when they're still young).

Back