• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Balance

Jeffalina

Young Bun
Anyone know what could make a little bun just drop down dead? :cry:
I went out to my hutch yesterday morning and found Cyprus lying on the hutch floor dead.
She had been eating drinking, frolicking and playing fine up until then, the only thing i noticed about her, was she kept standing on her hind legs and then falling backwards, she had NO balance from the day we got her, we just thought she was quirky, she also had no fear and would jump off anything at any given oppertunity- we thought she was silly or brave, but could that have been an indicator of soemthign wrong?
Other than that she had been fine, she was always lively and happy, I posted a thread when I had trouble with her poo but that was fixed when i realised she and my other bun were being fed way too many pellets.
My other bunny is fine, she used to fall over on her hind legs a bit, but she ws nothing like Cyprus and I am takin Pika to the vet on tuesday just in case Cyprus had anything as they came from the same place.

I am so sad, my poor little bunny, she showed no sign of injury or illness or discontent, she just went :(

She belongs to my housemate who was away and I had to ring her and tell her, she said it could have been cold, but it was one of the warmest nights yet and she has plenty of bedding and the hutch is draught free or her seeing a predetor or she could have fallen and injured herself when she was beign a silly but i really dont know- is the balance thing normal for young bunnies?

xxx

I am so sorry to hear about Cyprus:cry:

It sounds to me like she had quite a few neurological problems. I guess there is a possibility she had a massive fit and died but this is a pure guess and only a post mortum might be able to give you the answers you need.

it is possible she was born with brain damage but as you mentioned the other bunny also has balance problems this sounds like possible E.C.

Have either of the bunnies had a course of panacur? and has your vet mentioned E.C. as a possibility in the past? If not it would certainly be worth mentioning when you take your other bunny to the vets on Tuesday

I have only had the bunnies three weeks, and they had a full health check at the breeders so they have never been to the vet yet, I was getting ready to book them in for a mixi jab and was going to have them checked out then but Cyprus' death happenned before I managed to get them there. What is E.C? I did think about post-moretom but i was so distressed I burried the little thing.
Thanks for the help xxx

breeder can't be qualify to do health check. Is it a breeder rabbit?

Yes but the father of the family that breed and raises the bunnies is a retired vet and they all come with certificates and a 30 day health garunteee because they are confident in their ability to breed and raise healthy bunnies. I will be contacting them for advice as well as my vet.

I had a look at the link for EC, Cyprus didnt show any symptoms of it except the loss of balance, and that was only when she was stretching up onto her hind legs to explore, but I think you may be right in that it sounds like neuroloical problem. Those don't always show up for a while or until under certain cercumstances, I'll quiz my vet on tuesday.

Thanks for the help and and advice xxx

I also have a bunny that looses balance just when stretching, this is due to a problem with her spine, so depending on what the vet says x-rays might be a good idea. I guess if they were both from the same litter there is a chance they could both have been born with same problem :? But this wouldn't explain a sudden death.

I also have a bunny that looses balance just when stretching, this is due to a problem with her spine, so depending on what the vet says x-rays might be a good idea. I guess if they were both from the same litter there is a chance they could both have been born with same problem :? But this wouldn't explain a sudden death.

They werent from the same litter because I fell for Pika and she was the last of the litter so we got Cyprus from another litter for company. It could have been a spine thing, I might never know as shes been burried but i will get a full check over for Pika and il mention all the suggestions thankyou :) l

When Pika has been neutered I will start looking for a bunny to adopt to give her company, until then shel have to make do with me :):love:

Back