• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eric's first 'noise' - ???

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
had to pick eric up for bed last night as he just refused point blank to go to bed and i was sooooo tired. he was fine whilst i carried him but as i neared his cage he made a noise (first time ever!). it was like a blowing noise thro his nose, i suppose the human equivalent would be 'hhhhmmmpppphhh'.

what is this noise classed as? what may it mean? (i'm thinking it means 'how DARE you mummy:shock:'))

x

hi poppymoon! i registered just to answer your post - goodness, what a performance!

i'm not a bunny expert. my two bunnies are very vocal, though. matthew, particularly, huffs a lot - he huffs for "what an imposition! imagine picking me up/putting me down" and "i like it here, i'll whisper into your ear about it" together with "slave! you may continue to groom me!" this particular huff is usually followed by gentle grinding of happy teeth. then, a lick or two. maybe a shift of position, so his head rests somewhere comfy, like a shoulder or (his preference) left breast. his sister tabitha is a biting rabbit, and doesn't like to be held. she will be very, very vocal if anyone tries it - growly rabbit! she huffs when she is happy to be stroked, so i assume its some kind of affirmation. i think that's what mine mean by "huff" or "pfft" - but yours might mean something quite different.:)

I had not long been in from work last night and was stroking my bun in the hallway then my partner got back, as he opened the front door, Widget thumped once and made a noise like your one did, the Paul walked over and went to stroke Widget and he thumped once again and made a noise again, and then he did it a third time when he was stroked again this time by me! But he didnt move, then Paul stepped back, I stoked him again and he was fine.
He has only done this once before, when I wasn't here, same scenario again with Paul getting in from work and going to stoke him. He only did the thump/noise once then though.
Wonder if the noise of the door opening startled him? Thats only the second time he has done it. Strange.

hi poppymoon! i registered just to answer your post - goodness, what a performance!

i'm not a bunny expert. my two bunnies are very vocal, though. matthew, particularly, huffs a lot - he huffs for "what an imposition! imagine picking me up/putting me down" and "i like it here, i'll whisper into your ear about it" together with "slave! you may continue to groom me!" this particular huff is usually followed by gentle grinding of happy teeth. then, a lick or two. maybe a shift of position, so his head rests somewhere comfy, like a shoulder or (his preference) left breast. his sister tabitha is a biting rabbit, and doesn't like to be held. she will be very, very vocal if anyone tries it - growly rabbit! she huffs when she is happy to be stroked, so i assume its some kind of affirmation. i think that's what mine mean by "huff" or "pfft" - but yours might mean something quite different.:)

THANK YOU:wave: going to so much trouble!! really appreciate it. i'm used to my guinea pigs being very vocal but eric rabbit's first noise alarmed me somewhat as he doesn't really display 'typical' rabbit behaviour:oops:

your rabbits sound great - real characters:D

Whoever said rabbits are quiet creatures are lying through their teeth! I get a "hmmmrrrph" noise whenever one of mine is displeased in the slightest! Whether it be "I'm cleaning you out and you're choosing to sit RIGHT where I'm scrubbing and I have to shift your bottom" or it's "I don't want to be picked up and have my bottom sprayed so I don't get fly-strike"!

Yep, mine does it as a displeased noise, his most recent was when he managed to pull his baby grow off (was wearing it to stop him chewing a wound) and now every time I even go near him with the baby grow he lunges and grunts!! He always does it when you go near him and he wants to be left alone, mainly when he's eating!!!:roll: Yes, cos I want to steal your raw broccoli, yum!!

Back