• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Since looking in RIN a few weeks ago i have felt such a compelling urge to adopt a rabbit. Fidge was a breeder bun and Frankie was unwanted and almost a rescue bun but i got in before he ended up in one so i don't really have a true rescue bun.

It's not something i am seriously considering as of yet but just sort of a floating idea so i need some thoughts please........

If i was to adopt i would like him/her to be bonded with Fidget and Frankie as a trio. It will be when i move back home where they will have an 8x6ft shed and 6x6ft aviary. So here are my questions......

.....How successful are trio bonds?
Which sex bunny is best? (bearing in mind Frankie (male) is dominant in the pair).
Will the setup accommodate three buns?
Will they be 'happier' in a trio?

and the difficult question.... my dogs. I am unsure as to whether a rescue would allow me to adopt on account of my dogs. They are terriers and are not particularly great around rabbits by nature. Obviously i am aware of this with my buns and made the necessary arrangements....

...The shed is obviously secure and the aviary i have found (still to buy) is half panelled with plywood all the way round, fully enclosed and 6ft high and secured to the ground on top of paving (so no digging). This is to ensure that the dogs cannot get to the buns at all. Thankfully if they can't get something they tend to give up after a while so they will accept the buns presence after a couple of days or so but would i fail a homecheck on account of this?

Many Thanks for help :)

Difficult one. I think I would be a bit wary because it might upset the bond of your pair but it does work. Can you accomodate three single rabbits if it doesn't work out. I don't think there would be an issue with your terrier dog as long as the rabbits weren't bothered by it. I've been allowed to adopt by two rescues and I have a yorkshire terrier.

Although i have quite a few trios it has always been adding one to a same sex pair rather than a male/female pair. I have never had any luck personally with adding a bun to a male/female pair.

I don't really think it is fair to add a bun to an exisiting male/female pair if they are happy as you could potentially end up with three seperate bunnies. When bonding I always try to look at what the bunnies are getting out of it, if they are already in a loved up pair then adding a third is not going to make them any happier.

However this is only my opinion and I know there are lots of people on here who have added to a male/female pair:)

Difficult one. I think I would be a bit wary because it might upset the bond of your pair but it does work. Can you accomodate three single rabbits if it doesn't work out. I don't think there would be an issue with your terrier dog as long as the rabbits weren't bothered by it. I've been allowed to adopt by two rescues and I have a yorkshire terrier.

Hmmmm well theoretically i could house 3 singles but at a lower quality, as in they would have to have separate hutches in the shed as opposed to the whole shed which is a shame as it would be great for them to have all that room.

I really don't want to break Fidget and Frankie's bond!

Sorry no experience of trios, as from all the info I could find, I found that 4s are better than threes, as there is the potential that one bun could be left out, could you not get another pair, with some mods to the run? I think the shed would be great for a 4some

I dont think the dogs would be an issue, you already realise their potential, and have taken steps for this.

Maybe approach a rescue local to you, or from whom you are planning to adopt and ask their opinions.

Sorry no experience of trios, as from all the info I could find, I found that 4s are better than threes, as there is the potential that one bun could be left out, could you not get another pair, with some mods to the run? I think the shed would be great for a 4some

I dont think the dogs would be an issue, you already realise their potential, and have taken steps for this.

Maybe approach a rescue local to you, or from whom you are planning to adopt and ask their opinions.

I agree getting another pair would be ideal. You could split the shed in two and have two separate pairs.

I had a trio for a while but I don't think I'd have one again. With Piglet, Eeyore and Tufty, Tufty was always left out and often sat on her own, Pig would chase her quite a lot as well. I prefer to keep my buns in pairs :)

We had a male/female pair and I 'rescued' a female bunny that wasn't being looked after. We bonded her into the other two no probs and they all love each other, never one left out.
It can be done, but I think it all depends on your buns. :thumb:

We're now attempting to make it a foursome, with a second male, but that's taking some work so far!!

i started off with a mixed sex pair, simba (male) and Nala (female) they had been bonded about a year.. i then got Fifi (female) who bonded with them really well :D It is very individual to each pair of bunnies i think. maybe you could take your two to a rescue to see if they would get on with any single buns first.
Your set up sounds fab! :D

Back