• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weight Loss and Bullying

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
Holly is a spayed 3 year old mini lop. In approx. August 2008 her weight was 1.4 kg. When I took her for her myxi jab at the start of May she was 1.12 kg. The vet said that her back teeth were slightly sharp and thought that the weight loss was probably due to her teeth. The vet said to leave it a couple of weeks to see if her weight changed. When I took Holly for her VHD jab she was 1.06kg. She had a dental on Friday.

The vets thought because her teeth weren’t very bad that the weight loss could be due to bullying from Jasper. Jasper is a dominant rabbit and Holly is very quiet. They are both fed on a small amount of Science selective pellets, a mixture of vegetables and unlimited hay. The vets suggested that I split the two rabbits. :roll:

At the moment Holly is on fibreplex, unlimited mashed up pellets and veg.

Any advice would be helpful.

Holly is a spayed 3 year old mini lop. In approx. August 2008 her weight was 1.4 kg. When I took her for her myxi jab at the start of May she was 1.12 kg. The vet said that her back teeth were slightly sharp and thought that the weight loss was probably due to her teeth. The vet said to leave it a couple of weeks to see if her weight changed. When I took Holly for her VHD jab she was 1.06kg. She had a dental on Friday.

The vets thought because her teeth weren’t very bad that the weight loss could be due to bullying from Jasper. Jasper is a dominant rabbit and Holly is very quiet. They are both fed on a small amount of Science selective pellets, a mixture of vegetables and unlimited hay. The vets suggested that I split the two rabbits. :roll:

At the moment Holly is on fibreplex, unlimited mashed up pellets and veg.

Any advice would be helpful.

Is Holly eating all the 'unlimited' pellets or can Jasper get to it too?

Could you just split them at feeding times? If Holly needs unlimited pellets, then you would need to offer her the bowl at regular intervals throughout the day, but don't leave it down so that Jasper can scoff them.

I don't feel that Holly's weight loss was due to bullying because Holly and Jasper have been together for two years.

Holly's weight was 1.09kg this morning.

In the morning and evening they have separate bowls at different ends of the hutch. During the day I have been feeding Holly extra food away from Jasper. Holly has got a healthy appetite and Jasper hasn't been near her bowl when I have been watching.

I have got Holly on panacur at the moment to be on the safe side.

What else can I feed Holly to improve her weight? She wasn't interested in porridge

I'm not sure if Holly is stressed. Jasper is a lively rabbit and Holly has alway been quiet/shy.

I have never seen Jasper bullying Holly. Previously when they only had one bowl of food between Jasper would always get there first. I now give the food in two bowls.

Back