• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Looking for flystrike...

Benjamin09

Young Bun
...I'm slightly confused as when it comes to flystrike the majoriry of the advise says check the bun once-twice a day for it - but, it doesnt seem to say exactly what I'm looking for?

And where abouts am I looking/what is classed as his bum?

...I'm slightly confused as when it comes to flystrike the majoriry of the advise says check the bun once-twice a day for it - but, it doesnt seem to say exactly what I'm looking for?

And where abouts am I looking/what is classed as his bum?

Around his anus and genitals
On his belly
Under his chin/Dewlap
Around the base of his tail
Inner thighs
'Armpits'
Underside of ears in Lops

Look for any damp fur- damp from urine, faeces, saliva etc
Any open wounds or sore skin
If Bun has runny eyes, check around there too.

Bedding and litter trays should be changed Daily

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

Hi there.

When you are having a look at your bunny's bottom, you shouldn't really want to be looking for flystrike, but for problems that might result in it. i.e. you are looking for a dirty bottom where some of the bunny's poo has got stuck in it's coat or for a wet coat where the bunny has been sitting in urine, or has wet itself due to some other health issue.

If you don't see either or these problems, then you are not likely to see flystrike itself (although it is still possible).

Flystrike is where a fly has laid it's eggs on the skin, they hatch and the maggots start to eat the skin. Flies are attracted to wet/and or smelly areas. They can also climb up the anus and the vagina and start eating the rabbit from inside. So, you are looking for areas of skin that are missing and appear wet/glossy and irregular in shape. This can be small or the whole of the back end of a rabbit missing dependent on how long since the last check was made. You will also see small white maggots.

Hopefully you will never need to witness it.

So long as your bunny is on a high fibre diet, with no overfeeding of pellets or veg, and has no other health issues effecting it's ability to keep itself clean (and you clean out the hutch regularly) then you should hope not to see a mucky or wet bum and then you are less likely to need to see flystrike.

Last edited:
Around his anus and genitals
On his belly
Under his chin/Dewlap
Around the base of his tail
Inner thighs
'Armpits'
Underside of ears in Lops

Look for any damp fur- damp from urine, faeces, saliva etc
Any open wounds or sore skin
If Bun has runny eyes, check around there too.

Agree with this too.

Bedding and litter trays should be changed Daily

For this one, I still havent worked out where he sleeps or where he 'litters' - only had him 2 days so far. Should I change the whole lot until I find out where/he settles into one place? Currently I'm just removing the poos I find as he seems to do them in 3 different places.

For this one, I still havent worked out where he sleeps or where he 'litters' - only had him 2 days so far. Should I change the whole lot until I find out where/he settles into one place? Currently I'm just removing the poos I find as he seems to do them in 3 different places.

I clean out everything every day for all my Bunnies :)

I would just like to add a word of warning.

I made the mistake (years ago) of turning bunny upside down to check his anal and genital area. I was absolutely devastated when I realised he had contracted flystrike.

The flies had laid their eggs between his back and his tail. He was a Dutch bunny and his tail curved very closely round his body and although I was checking him religiously, I had omitted to drop his tail down and check there.

Luckily it was caught very early and he received prompt treatment

I've still never forgiven myself even though he went on to have a very long and happy life.

I wouldn't want someone to make the same mistakes as me :(

I would just like to add a word of warning.

I made the mistake (years ago) of turning bunny upside down to check his anal and genital area. I was absolutely devastated when I realised he had contracted flystrike.

The flies had laid their eggs between his back and his tail. He was a Dutch bunny and his tail curved very closely round his body and although I was checking him religiously, I had omitted to drop his tail down and check there.

Luckily it was caught very early and he received prompt treatment

I've still never forgiven myself even though he went on to have a very long and happy life.

I wouldn't want someone to make the same mistakes as me :(

Good post.

It's true to say that flies do lay their eggs anywhere and in fact I heard only a week or so ago of someone (acquaintance) who had found maggots up the back of her healthy rabbit. It can happen to anybun and so daily checking over the bunny is so very important.

I think another point to add is that when the fly lays eggs it dies so if there are any dead flies about this could be a sign of it. I'm really paranoid about flystrike.

Back