• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you give your rabbit wooden chew toys?

Well?

• Yes - I read that article, but am not convinced by it

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Yes - I've never read the article

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No - I've read the article and agree with it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - for some other reason

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I was just reading an article in a book ("When your rabbit needs special care" by Lucille Moore and Kathy Smith) which stated that wooden sticks/toys should never be given to rabbits because they damage the teeth.

I was quite surprised by this as it's not something I've heard anywhere else so wondered what are your opinions on it?

iv given wooden toys but none of my buns like them,esp willow sticks the hate them,so just baby toys for my bunnys and bordem breakers,lol

I prefer natural and free stuff, so have three sacks of apple branches in store ready for destruction:lol:

My rabbits love the willow sticks they chew them like mad, but im new to rabbits so dont know if too much could be bad for them.

Mine love eating Willow ballls! They are not too fond of the willow sticks but love the willow rings you can buy.

My opinion: It's not going to do damage unless there is an underlying problem with the teeth. Stripping bark from trees is a natural behaviour and I think wooden toys are a more natural option (and less hard) than plastic ones if you're going to be fussy - I'm not ;)

I think a range of toys is essential to a rabbits mental well-being and things to chew is a part of that. Any toy is going to have a small element of risk but I don't think wooden ones are any more so than anything else.

My opinion: It's not going to do damage unless there is an underlying problem with the teeth. Stripping bark from trees is a natural behaviour and I think wooden toys are a more natural option (and less hard) than plastic ones if you're going to be fussy - I'm not ;)

I think a range of toys is essential to a rabbits mental well-being and things to chew is a part of that. Any toy is going to have a small element of risk but I don't think wooden ones are any more so than anything else.

That's what I thought. The article quoted a vet as saying that rabbit teeth "are not intended fir biting anything harder than grasses and food" that the pressure on the "fragile" teeth of chewing wood, can twist them and eventually cause malocclusion. He then recommended that if you need to keep your rabbit occupied you provide cardboard toys - with no mention of the havoc caused when your bun ingests a whole cardboard box ;)

I found it an odd claim tbh. We have an orchard at work and the wildy buns certainly find it acceptable to chew the trunks :lol: And my buns enjoy their chew sticks so much I feel it would be counterproductive to remove them because they'd be so bored.

Dont buns chew bark in the wild?!What a load of tosh!!!They would only chew something else that perhaps really is bad for them so think will take the risk with wooden toys.

my two love their willow toys.....in addition audrey loves to chew at the skirting board and doorframes and doors........need I say any more:roll:

I do. I've not heard of this before, mine love chewing on anything in sight! They love willow balls & the Boredom Breaker Naturals :rabbit2: :thumb:

Back