• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I cant believe it's happened to me again - This time Stevie

vicki267

Mama Doe
We had to rush Stevie to the vets last night as guess what... He started choking on his food! Different stuff to what Stitch choked on though.

Before I say anything else, he is back at home, receiving bed rest. He has eaten a little hay and carrot and has been weeing and pooping.

I was convinced we were going to lose him as Stitch died so quickly. Stevie was really brave though, he managed to clear the blockage himself and when we got to the vets they gave him oxygen and baytril and frusemide injections.

Unfortunately it sounds like he had fluid on his lungs and although clear now he may still get pneumonia :cry:

My usual vets gave me some baytril to give him today - I didn't want to take him back as it's 10 miles each way and not fair on him so will have to rely on the emergency ones we used last night if he goes downhill again.

I am still not over the loss of Stitch, I had however come to terms with the fact that one rabbit choking was a freak accident - Now this! I'm always going to be paranoid now.

Can we please have some vibes for Stevie's little bunny lungs and also my extremely tired brain!!!

Will update again later.

Thank goodness you caught him in time.
Maybe it happens more often than we realise and is the cause of some of the sudden, unexplained bunny deaths that we hear about.
Does the vet think the fluid is as a result of food aspiration or is there an underlying problem?

We think it's the froth he made when choking - Exactly the same as Stitch but Stitch couldn't breathe through his nose and barely his mouth. Stevie could still breathe through his nose - All be it very raspy.

His lungs sounded fine at his check up two weeks ago.

That's reassuring. I guess you've just been incredibly unlucky, but at least Stevie's ok now xx

Oh Vicky I am so sorry this has happened again. I'm glad Stevie seems Ok for now though, fingers crossed he makes a full recovery.

i have had a bunny choke before and it is frightening and so quick. Thankfully brendan was OK. It was late at night so rang the emergency vet and they basically told me the only chance I had was to hang him upside down as they were a 45 minute drive away and Steve was at work with the car another 30 mins in the opposite direction. It actually worked, there was a lot of froth coming out of his nose and mouth but by the time Steve dashed home from work he was a 100% back to normal. I think I felt worse than he did. he choked on one of those small dried carrot pieces so I have never bought them again. I realise the outcome could have been so different and I still look at Brendan everyday and think how grateful i am he is still with me :) Brendan doesn't have dental problems, in fact besides that he has never had a days illness in his life.

Poor Stevie :shock: :(

Is he a Dental Bunny ?

Nope, his teeth are all OK too at the moment :?

Thanks Liz, it's so nice to hear of bunnies surviving this. The more I read up about rabbit choking, the more I begin to think I still might have been able to save Stitch. It's hard as the vets Stevie got to were nearer and we didn't stress him out by trying to free the blockage too much like we did with Stitch.

With Stitch I called the vets straight away for advice, then I had no idea where the nearest open vets were so I wasted so much time :(

With Stevie we just stayed calm, got him in the carrier and took him to the emergency vets that we knew would be open (because of Stitch). We knew how quick bunny could die so just tried not to waste a second.

When I picked Stevie up he gave us 3 REALLY load stomps :lol:

Now he is washing and standing up on his back legs wondering why he cant run about for too long! (I keep dozing off on the sofa and I dont want him chewing anything that might get stuck)!!!

If he does catch Pneumonia - Is there a time by which he would have caught it?

This sounds exactly the same symptoms as my Rab had (11yrs ago now) - we rushed him to the vets but he died within a few minutes of getting there.
I never got an explanation for it.

Really glad that Stevie is home - give him a big nose rub from me x

gosh you poor thing. I was bricking when I saw what was happening to sooty but if you had already lost a bun to it it would be so much worse.

Can I ask it wasn't caused by the naturals pure carrot pellets was it? That was what sooty choked on and we also had a bun in the rescue inhale one through the nose. I am going to write to the manufacturer to complain & try and get a refund as I think the size of them (very thin) is possibly quite a high risk.

Hope he's feeling much better now. It took about 3 hours for sooty's steroid injection to kick in fully and he was still quiet and a bit snotty for a day if that is any help. Keep an eye on his breathing and snottiness for about a week. After that he should be in the clear.

Last edited:
Oh no, poor Stevie! I can't believe it's happened to you twice, thats just the worst luck! I will be keeping everything crossed that it goes ok over the next few days.

Can I ask it wasn't caused by the naturals pure carrot pellets was it? That was what sooty choked on and we also had a bun in the rescue inhale one through the nose. I am going to write to the manufacturer to complain & try and get a refund as I think the size of them (very thin) is possibly quite a high risk.

I've just remembered, those are what Brendan choked on not the carrot flake pieces :shock:

I haven't brought either of them again as i use to get them at the same time

Can I ask it wasn't caused by the naturals pure carrot pellets was it? That was what sooty choked on and we also had a bun in the rescue inhale one through the nose. I am going to write to the manufacturer to complain & try and get a refund as I think the size of them (very thin) is possibly quite a high risk.QUOTE]

Yes it was!!!! OMG Liz - I cannot beleive Brendan choked on them too!!!!

I will be right up for complaining - Imagine how many other bunnies are at risk!

Jason - Stitch choked on his Science Selective pellet, as I mentioned earlier completely different food to Stevie.

We had to pop out for a few hours but just got back and he is still lively, gonna give him some more Baytril in about 30 mins - He isn't a fan of that :?

Thanks for all your vibes and nose rubs - He is a fan of those!

Oh my, i cant believe this vicki, im so glad he is okay.

i have some of these in the cupboard and my lot love them do u think its the length of these that causes it as theey are think so it cant be the width?

I have always broke y bunnies carrot pellets up really small, just bcus i thought they looked long, some are over an inch in lengths arent they?:cry:

Back