• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very angry - P&H again - can't believe it!

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Went into P&H in Hull yesterday and noticed the water bottles were hung far to high! There was no way either the bunnies or the guinea pigs that they had in there could reach.

I pointed this out in as calm a fashion as I could muster to this lady and she said that they have to stand on one of those log archway things you can get to reach up to the water bottles. That is the only way they could get a drink?! She also made me feel like a total pain in the **** :evil:

Now is it me who is just completely stark raving nutty or is that totally unacceptable?! I didn't know guinea pigs were climbers?

What can I do about this? I've been thinking about it ever since.

Why I go in there I just don't know.

i tormented myself yesterday by going into my local branch too. no idea why cos i came out really upset. i enquired (politely) as to whether the lady bun they had in the adoption section was neutered. 'dunno til we take it to the vets'. er, does she have a scar? 'the vet'll look, we're not'.

hopefully her vet trip will be pretty quick as she really didn't look like a happy bunny how she was hunched.

and no, guineas don't climb:evil:

No guineas don't climb but they love sitting the log arches. They have fresh water that they have access to so I'm unsure exactly what the problem is?

Do not get me started on this one....................:evil:

Our local branch has just had a revamp of their Rabbit accomodation.

It is HIDEOUS and 'yes' the Water bottles are so high only a flippin' Conti would be able to reach them

I am affraid I give up with the store.
They are totally useless
Have not got a clue about the animals they sell and dont give a flying fig about them

:evil:

Please dont advise me to contact HO.
I have, on more occassions than I care to remember and they do naff all

No guineas don't climb but they love sitting the log arches. They have fresh water that they have access to so I'm unsure exactly what the problem is?

The problem is is that the bunnies and the guinea pigs actually have to climb up on top of the log arch to gain access to the water!

The problem is is that the bunnies and the guinea pigs actually have to climb up on top of the log arch to gain access to the water!

But they can drink..... It's not as if they are being deprived of water. Anyway, I've moved the ones in our store lower down, although the pigs still sit on the logs and try to stretch from that to the bottle.

Am sorry and am not having a go at you in particular but I just don't see that as being acceptable. Animals should have EASY access to water - not a mamoth climb to the top of a bloody log arch to get it! These guinea pigs and bunnies were tiny and I still don't see how this would work and be safe. There was not way of moving the bottles lower down as that was as far down as they could go.

When explaining to the lady in the store she could have reassured me that they were fine and that they can climb up to gain access but she just wasn't interested and was quite rude and abrupt. She even told her colleague to go in and make the log arch steeper so that they can access it easier?! Am sorry but that is not on!

The other problem with using the logs is that more often than not they get knocked out of the way. The staff dont check on the animals very often so they could be unable to get to water for hours :cry:

I was told that the reason the bottles are positioned so high is because they drip if they are lower which makes the wood shavings (yes, they still use them :roll:) look unsightly........................

Am sorry and am not having a go at you in particular but I just don't see that as being acceptable. Animals should have EASY access to water - not a mamoth climb to the top of a bloody log arch to get it! These guinea pigs and bunnies were tiny and I still don't see how this would work and be safe. There was not way of moving the bottles lower down as that was as far down as they could go.

When explaining to the lady in the store she could have reassured me that they were fine and that they can climb up to gain access but she just wasn't interested and was quite rude and abrupt. She even told her colleague to go in and make the log arch steeper so that they can access it easier?! Am sorry but that is not on!

This is exactly what I was about to post, why should they have to work that hard to get something as basic as water :shock: Especially considering how hot the animals get under the lights of the shop

:shock:

I just can't see a little guinea pig venturing up there to get a drink - I just can't. Surely if they can't put the bottle lower, then a heavy ceramic dish would be better?

Anyway am gonna stop going on now. I've got it off my chest and I will vow AGAIN not to go into another pet shop.

Who am I kidding?! :roll:

:shock:

I just can't see a little guinea pig venturing up there to get a drink - I just can't. Surely if they can't put the bottle lower, then a heavy ceramic dish would be better?

Anyway am gonna stop going on now. I've got it off my chest and I will vow AGAIN not to go into another pet shop.

Who am I kidding?! :roll:

i agree emma-jane. i'm only speaking as a piggy owner and carer tho, not an animal expert or a pet-store basher. none of my guinea pigs like to climb. they have log arches but prefer to hide under them to munch grass or play hide n seek with each other. yes, they arch their head up slightly to drink from the water bottles but their feet don't leave the ground......

I would feel it's more sensible to make water as easily accessible as possible. animals can get very poorly if they're dehydrated so why make it challenging for them? I don't keep pigs myself but I have definitely had buns who wouldn't be intelligent enough to climb for water. ;)

Another thign that mystifies me - not specifically in pet stores though - is hay racks hung really high. hay is so important, why discourage them from eating it?! their necks aren't meant to bend backwards :?

wood shavings (yes, they still use them :roll:)

Sorry to highjack the thread but I was wondering why you dislike wood shavings. I know they can be dusty, but I have always used dust extracted wood shavings and have *touches wood* never had a problem. My bunnies have a thin layer of shavings covered with a layer of straw and then a layer of hay. In fact they seem to poo and wee more when I put shavings in the hutch than if I use just straw and hay.

I thought rabbits and guinea pigs were prey animals. When put out in the middle of a large area where there is lots of noise and bright lights many prefer to hide rather than put themselves in a position where they are obvious and are at greater risk from predators.

It is a long time since I have been in pet shop that sells animals, the last time was when ARC took 3 rabbits from the store Jane is talking about which were alledgedly dumped which turned out to be identical to ones which had previously been in pens in the same store days earlier. Miraculously after we had collected them the ones which were in the store were not in the pens anymore for sale :?

Sorry to highjack the thread but I was wondering why you dislike wood shavings. I know they can be dusty, but I have always used dust extracted wood shavings and have *touches wood* never had a problem. My bunnies have a thin layer of shavings covered with a layer of straw and then a layer of hay. In fact they seem to poo and wee more when I put shavings in the hutch than if I use just straw and hay.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=178252&highlight=shavings

Do not get me started on this one....................:evil:

Our local branch has just had a revamp of their Rabbit accomodation.

It is HIDEOUS and 'yes' the Water bottles are so high only a flippin' Conti would be able to reach them

I am affraid I give up with the store.
They are totally useless
Have not got a clue about the animals they sell and dont give a flying fig about them

Please dont advise me to contact HO.
I have, on more occassions than I care to remember and they do naff all

I was going to send a letter to Head Office. I won't bother then. Our local one has a young male bunny in the adoption centre clearly stating it should live alone. :shock:

Back